The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Might not be around much...

JudyN

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I've self-diagnosed myself with carpal tunnel syndrome, so aim to reduce typing to a minimum while I experiment with Voltarol, wrist supports, etc. I'll still be keeping an eye out and doing the essentials, but will be trying to avoid social media and not get drawn in to general chat for a while. Goodness knows what I'm going to do with all that spare time though!

Sorry to hear that @JudyN ... Hopefully the rest and various treatments will work and relieve the pain and discomfort.
Good luck and sure you'll find something to fill your spare time!:)

Oh Judy, we will miss your chat.
Are you sure this self-diagnosis thing is a good idea, as we always suggest that it is not a good idea when discussing our pets problems!:rolleyes:
At least you will not be leaving us completely.
Take care and have a happy Christmas and happy New Year. Best wishes.

Are you sure this self-diagnosis thing is a good idea

Normally I'd say no! But I know I spend far too long on my laptop (work, social media, news, shopping, playing games...) and the compromises I make because of my fibromyalgia mean that I'm not in the idealised 'work posture' (I've tried, simply doesn't work for me), and I know my wrists are in the wrong position. I'm going to start supporting them with wheat bags, see if that helps. I've been through phases of this before, and it's passed... only for some other part of my body to start complaining:D

Hope to see your edifying emissives back as and when you feel it’s propitious. You’ll be missed. Hugs to Jasper. X

What about the voice activated thingy?

What about the voice activated thingy?

Nah, I think the main issue is with all the moving the cursor around the screen using the touchpad, clicking on different places (quote buttons, smilies etc.), selecting files, copying & pasting from one place to another... Only a small proportion of the time am I typing actual whole sentences.

Sorry to hear this, and I hope you will be able to spend more time with us again soon. As someone with a very battered wrist from old injury, I find warmth very helpful - could you wear some soft cuffs?

I find warmth very helpful - could you wear some soft cuffs?

Worth a try :) I've been experimenting with elasticated wrist supports but they make me itch. I'm wondering about trying sweat bands with strategic cotton wool padding to act as a wrist rest... They're not feeling so bad today - I think the real answer is to cut back pooter time though. There's plenty I can cut back on while still doing the important bits - like this forum!

My colleague who had carpal tunnel problems used a gel filled wrist rest that helped.

My colleague who had carpal tunnel problems used a gel filled wrist rest that helped.

I've had a look at them online, but most seem intended for use with a mouse, which doesn't work for my way of working. Do please suggest a wrist rest you think should work, though! I've turned a wheat bag into two smaller ones, so I can have one each side of the touch pad, but think I need to remove some of the wheat. In the meantime I'm eyeing up a washing up sponge I have that might be about the right size.

Hmmm, what to do in between now and telly time? I'm getting Candy Crush withdrawal symptoms!

No, it's actually on my lap, on a lap tray. I sit on a glider chair, with my feet on a footstool, and there's not enough room between my body and the touchpad to fit a support in there. I've tried with proper desk-based setups, but they just don't work for my back & shoulders. I've thought about larger lap trays so the laptop could be further from my body, but then it's resting on my knees too much rather than my thighs. And a free-standing table that went over my legs (if that makes sense) would make it too high.

A couple of the wrist pads for the 'mouse' wrist might work, but I'm reluctant to order something that might not work.

OK, this is probably a really crazy idea, but just incase there might be even the tiniest bit of help in it - what about kids' swimming armbands. Cheap, inflatable as much or as little as you need, and if all else fails they just might let you see if the proper wrist pads would be worth buying?

I'm all for crazy ideas:D Thinking about it though, they couldn't be inflated to the maximum or they'd be too fat, and if only half filled, when I rested on them all the air would go up to the top.

I have been wondering if something like this could work: https://www.amazon.co.uk/D4P-Displa...ords=side+laptop+table&qid=1639140121&sr=8-27 But I really don't want to order it and then find out it doesn't!

Somewhere I have a padded wristband bought for this purpose years ago. It can't have worked that well, but I really should try to find it and see if it works better than the other options I've tried so far....

I've self-diagnosed myself with carpal tunnel syndrome, so aim to reduce typing to a minimum while I experiment with Voltarol, wrist supports, etc. I'll still be keeping an eye out and doing the essentials, but will be trying to avoid social media and not get drawn in to general chat for a while. Goodness knows what I'm going to do with all that spare time though!
Well, that is painful so I hope you learn to manage it.
I've had a look at them online, but most seem intended for use with a mouse, which doesn't work for my way of working. Do please suggest a wrist rest you think should work, though! I've turned a wheat bag into two smaller ones, so I can have one each side of the touch pad, but think I need to remove some of the wheat. In the meantime I'm eyeing up a washing up sponge I have that might be about the right size.

Hmmm, what to do in between now and telly time? I'm getting Candy Crush withdrawal symptoms!
Isn't there a USB on the laptop to plug a mouse into, or wireless mouse?

Isn't there a USB on the laptop to plug a mouse into, or wireless mouse?

Yes, but because I sit in a glider chair with arms, there's nowhere for the mouse to go. I've looked at all sorts of laptop tables, but there's nothing where everything else would fit in with the chair arms and legs, and the footstool.... Unless I find a levitating laptray, I really do think I should just ration myself, be careful with my wrist position, and persevere with the strategically positioned wheat bag.

whenever your ready don't rush hope you're okay

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back