The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Misdiagnosed dog dementia

Tinytom

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Murphy was diagnosed with dog dementia. ..he had all the classic symptoms. ...for 12 weeks we have debated if it was a quality of life for him ...then he started to brighten up but i noticed it appeared he couldn't see ....he has SARDS ...in the first few months the symptoms present similar to dementia and then that dissappears but so does the dogs sight ...i am happy it isnt dementia and he seems to be coping well with his loss of vision and most importantly he is not in any pain ...he manages to run and jump into the car unaided ...we have a large open plan house and large garden and he manages up and down the stairs ...
He is 11 in January. ..the vet says this shouldn't affect his life span . :)

That's good :) I hope he continues to do well.

Murphy was diagnosed with dog dementia. ..he had all the classic symptoms. ...for 12 weeks we have debated

A great example of 'you know your dog the best' and your gut instinct knew you/he needed time before any decision even after a vet diagnoses. Good call!
Any illness or injury to our dogs, dogs just get on with life as they always do, it is us humans that worry about them coping/managing.... I have always said' "we ( humans) need to be more like dogs"

That's excellent news!

For others who are negotiating doggy dementia - in humans, urinary tract infections cause dementia symptoms, but as soon as the infection is treated, the symptoms cease. It may well be the same with dogs. In humans, a basic urine test does not always reveal the infection the first time. Although this is common knowledge in human geriatrica, it is disappointing how often it is not factored in to diagnostics. Drs and vets are rightly keen to limit antibiotic use, but this is one instance where it is justified.

Murphy was diagnosed with dog dementia. ..he had all the classic symptoms. ...for 12 weeks we have debated if it was a quality of life for him ...then he started to brighten up but i noticed it appeared he couldn't see ....he has SARDS ...in the first few months the symptoms present similar to dementia and then that dissappears but so does the dogs sight ...i am happy it isnt dementia and he seems to be coping well with his loss of vision and most importantly he is not in any pain ...he manages to run and jump into the car unaided ...we have a large open plan house and large garden and he manages up and down the stairs ...
He is 11 in January. ..the vet says this shouldn't affect his life span . :)
I’m sure he’ll cope. For what it’s worth one of our whippets had the same diagnosis and he had an excellent life. We made no changes in the house and placed a small bell on the collar of our other whippet when we went for walks. We miss them both.

That is good news! Animals are amazing at just getting on with it for sure, one of mine I walk had his eye removed due to a tumor behind it, other than steering him away from walking too close to bushes(Ouch!) for a good few weeks, on that side, he adjusted no probs. He occasionally will bump into a lamppost though(unless you're quick at anticipating it:confused:) if he's being nosey at who's across the road, but then he used to do that with 2 eyes for the same reason!!:D

Well we now have a 3rd diagnosis by the ophthalmology team ...
They say it isnt SARDS ...he has had a stroke which has caused his blindness...he hasn't got any vision at all now which I guessed last week ...he could have another stroke but we will cross that bridge if it ever happened...he has to have a quality of life and live ...he is doing really well , my vets couldn't believe how well he has adapted indoors ...as you said Flobo dogs are amazing...they dont feel sorry for themselves they just get on with life :D

Murphy had a descale and polish today as some of his teeth needed it ...he had a light sedation and the vets let me take him just before she took him in ...i had his blood tests done which shows stage 2 kidney disease so i am now researching diet for him as he has always had raw ...don't really want to give him Royal Canin Renal ...although they now do a gravy pouch one .....anyone had a dog that had needed a specific diet for kidney disease

Thanks jo ...will have a look at those

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back