The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Missy Won't Eat A Full Meal

doglover12

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone I feed Missy 3 times a day in the morning she gets raw meat and optimum puppy food, then at lunch she gets raw meat,then at night she gets optimum puppy Missy is 12 weeks old each feeding she gets about 1/2 cup to a cup. She loves the raw meat will eat the optimum puppy dry but isn't keen on it she ends up leaving most of it behind. Missy weighs 4.8kgs, I just want to make sure she is getting enough to eat.

If we have a puppy reluctant to feed we sometimes wet the food a little with hot water and add a third of a tray of puppy meat and mix it all up together. This normally encourages them to eat up.

If her condition seems good and she is not too thin I wouldn't worry too much. It's easy to become worried about your puppy's eating habits but it may be that she's just not that hungry.

You could also try changing the order of the meals perhaps giving the raw meat at night instead.

Hi everyone I feed Missy 3 times a day in the morning she gets raw meat and optimum puppy food, then at lunch she gets raw meat,then at night she gets optimum puppy Missy is 12 weeks old each feeding she gets about 1/2 cup to a cup. She loves the raw meat will eat the optimum puppy dry but isn't keen on it she ends up leaving most of it behind. Missy weighs 4.8kgs, I just want to make sure she is getting enough to eat.
Is that how her breeder advised you to feed her? It is not usually a good idea to add meat to dry food which is supposed to be complete in itself and balanced. At 12 weeks, I am still feeding my puppies four times a day. If I want them to eat dry food, I give it in the morning when they are hungry and most likely to eat it. They have raw meat or tripe twice a day with laughing dog puppy meal or pasta and the other meal is usually fish and redibrek made with full cream milk. If Missy is not eating the dry food and you want to try another complete, Nature Diet puppy/junior variety is always popular with my puppies. Flutter who is six months today has it for lunch.

Gay

www.moonlake.co.uk

double posting deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
My Alice is 17 weeks and still on 4 meals , but she has an unusual habit in that she eats half her dinner , goes outside and empties , then comes back and finishes it !! and the odd thing is apparentley so does one of her sisters, Meg

As for the food you are feeding , they do say not to give raw as well as a complete , because you are upsetting the balance of the Complete . But I do pretty much what Gay does :thumbsup:

My Alice is 17 weeks and still on 4 meals , but she has an unusual habit in that she eats half her dinner , goes outside and empties , then comes back and finishes it !! and the odd thing is apparentley so does one of her sisters, Meg
As for the food you are feeding , they do say not to give raw as well as a complete , because you are upsetting the balance of the Complete . But I do pretty much what Gay does :thumbsup:
I had one that did that - can't remember now who it was but when she was a little bit older, I got over it by taking her out to empty before each meal. Think it was Fickle.

Gay

www.moonlake.co.uk

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back