The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My Boy Can'y Sleep

katep1

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi All

as you know we picked up the beautiful Arty last Sunday. He sleeps great during the day (see other posted pic) but seems to wake up at midnight & then will only go back to sleep if he sleeps on our bed. When we let him do that he sleeps VERY well. Now we don't particulary mind him sleeping on our bed, after all he is only a baby but we do worry that we are making a rod for our own back (especailly if this continues when he is fully grown!!!)

We have tried going to him in the night & after him having a wee putting him back to bed in his own bed but the noise he makes is increadible - enough to wake a sleeping 15 year old boy (& nothing usually wakes him belive me !!!).

Does any one have any ideas?????

Thanks

Kate & Ifti

-_-

Your'e not alone kate it happens to most people with a new puppy, the noise they make can be incredible isn't it for such a small thing (w00t) the first couple of nights they all ended up in our bed just so we could get a bit of sleep but after that you have to strong(easier said than done though)

If you let her stay in you bed when she's grown you'll be lucky if you can fit in :lol:

Do you have a crate? if so make it snuggly and put in a teddy or 2 , with Spry we played before bed throwing toys around the room to tire her out, then just try to ignore her when she cries (hard) but eventually she will get the message that it's sleep time.

I would also try not to let her sleep all day because she is charging her batteries for night time, good luck, it will pass you just have to be patient and forfit your sleep for a bit :luck: :luck:

Hi Kate,

the best plan of action is to try and keep the pup quiet in the early evening then say 10-11pm have a realy good play with it to tire it out, then give it a little food and you should find that tired with a full belly it will sleep for most of the night.

Hi - our pups are brothers so be nice to swap stories, pics etc. I had the last black pup with the brown socks from Socks and Basil's litter. We've called him Freddie.

I'm still learning myself but know that a crate is a very useful thing to have.

Read that it's good to put bed in crate in your bedroom and let your pup sleep in that first couple of nights, then move to landing and then into kitchen after that.

Found Gwen Bailey's book The Perfect Puppy really helpful and also Victoria Stilwell's book - It's Me or The Dog.

Hope your boy starts sleeping soon.

Paula

our first 2 pups bro and sister slept together downstairs we had no sleepless nights, since then we have had 3 new pups, who slept with us every night until they decided they wanted to sleep downstairs with the big dogs... never had a sleepless night with one dog! guess we have been lucky... :p

View attachment 23859

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back