The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My dog doesn't like getting her nails clipped. Helpppp

jeandecker76

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone! I'm new here!

My dog hates getting her nails clipped. I've tried the normal clipper for dogs and nail files. She gets really annoyed and jumps/hides from me. Do you guys have any recommendations so I can get her nails clipped? I can't bring her to the vet/grooming station because my area is still under community enhanced quarantine.

Thank you and stay safe!

Are you on FaceBook? There's an excellent FB group called Nail Maintenance for Dogs. It's a very structured, gradual approach and can take a long time but is probably the most effective solution. Do let us know if you prefer to avoid FB though, and we can describe some of the details.

In the meantime, you can train her to file her own nails on sandpaper glued to a bit of wood or similar, to tide you over till she accepts clipping. There's a video for this here:
Training is a lot harder for the back claws though!

Are you on FaceBook? There's an excellent FB group called Nail Maintenance for Dogs. It's a very structured, gradual approach and can take a long time but is probably the most effective solution. Do let us know if you prefer to avoid FB though, and we can describe some of the details.

In the meantime, you can train her to file her own nails on sandpaper glued to a bit of wood or similar, to tide you over till she accepts clipping. There's a video for this here:
Training is a lot harder for the back claws though!

Luckily, I'm using Facebook!!! This is really helpful! Thank you so much!! <3

My dog is a nightmare to do anything to, including nail clipping. We live in Switzerland and we always have a tube of “Le parfait” in the house, which is basically cheap pâté. One of us feeds him pâté from the tube whilst the other “operates” (clips nails, removes tick etc). I’m sure you could find something similar.

My lab does not like nails clipped either however after each clip she gets a small piece of cheese or some other of her fave treats and we manage it quite well. Takes far longer than a professional would however we are both more comfortable with it now. She also has black nails so I can't see how far i can cut really so i very much air on the side of caution.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back