The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My dog eats poo - help!!

Rentons

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Since our 5 yr old male cocker spaniel was castrated a year ago he loves eating poo - other dogs’ not his own. We have had him checked out by the vet who says his diet is ok and he has no health conditions. I have tried squirting lemon juice or pepper but this either gets blown away or has made him sick. The only way to stop him at the moment is to keep him on a very short lead & watch his every move - doesn’t make for fun walking! Any ideas / tips please?

A friend rated live natural yoghurt added to the diet - about a dessert spoon a day. Apparently it helps rebalance the gut bacteria, which reduces the desire to supplement it with other, erm, probiotics ...

A friend rated live natural yoghurt added to the diet - about a dessert spoon a day. Apparently it helps rebalance the gut bacteria, which reduces the desire to supplement it with other, erm, probiotics ...

My dog seemed to stop doing this round about the time I switched him to a raw diet - it could just have been a case of maturing and growing out of it though. He still does occasionally tuck into fresh cow poo, but I can usually stop him with a 'leave' command (well more of a request really...) as long as I can tell him to leave it before he's started chomping.

The leave command has not been too successful so far! But the raw diet may be a shout, thank you for your reply.

To be fair, 'leave' probably only works for us if the poo isn't up to his usual discerning standards. I've even known him stand over a crusty old cowpat just waiting for me to say 'leave' and then reward him...

A few years ago I took in an adult Shih Tzu, he had been fed on an expensive kibble but I switched him to raw. At first he was a poo eater, but over a couple of weeks it dropped off till he didn't eat it at all. Now it could be the change in diet or being settled or a combination that caused the change I have no way of knowing. But he didn't eat any for the rest of his life.

Thank you for this - getting some really useful info. Thanks again!

Just wanted to update as a thank you & in case useful to anyone else...
When our dog was castrated we were told to remove the fresh meat from his diet so he did not put on too much weight- it seems it was this that initiated his poo eating.
We have removed kibble & gone back to lamb/beef/liver with veg.
I’m not going to lie, there have been a few poo eatings but he is now off the lead on walks again, rolling in grass, running around & greeting other dogs, rather than his walks being completely ‘hunt the poo’ focused!
Sorry if this is a nasty post in the morning but I am really, really grateful to all who replied for us getting our normal dog walks back!
THANK YOU!!!!

Never heard the advice to remove fresh food to stop weight gain. Just feed whatever suits you and him and keep an eye on his weight so you can adjust amounts accordingly.

That's brilliant news - and more evidence that a fresh meat diet can reduce the problem :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back