The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My Dog Is Off Here Food

T28

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi there

Not been posting much, mostly reading the info thats available 8)

My question is

Ive got a Collie/Whippet thats 10 months old now and shes off her food, she will eat some of it if you hand feed it or put it on the floor.

Also she will eat treats, cereal, fish, chicken, etc..... no bother, its just her dog food and mix shes fussy about, we have tried different kinds of food/mix but she is still turning her nose up at them :lol:

Do you have any ideas to try and get her back on dog food/mix, she was currently getting 1 tin a day along with her mix.

A couple of pics of Nico

site1-1.jpg

site2.jpg

Hi,

I have two whippets and they couldn't be more different Indianna is nearly six months old and he eats anything, but Sasha who is two going on three is the most fussy eater that I have ever met, the only only advise I can give is to try Bakers as I have been told that they spay it in sugar to make it so tasty to the dogs, although it is expensive when my sasha goes off her regular food I give that to her. Also be aware that it is a complete food so just watch how much you feed if you still want to use meat as well.( I do as sasha wont eat just a mixer, so I do a smaller amount of meat to compensate for the mixer) and try to cut down on the treats you give to your dog so its not so full when it comes to it dinner. Hope this helps :huggles:

I would have to disagree with feeding Bakers.

It is full of suger, colourings and aditives and is one of the worst dog foods on the market.

What food are you giving at the moment?? If its canned with mixer as how I read it is then its no wonder she doesn't want it, she won't be getting much nutritionl value from the food and will most probably be getting sick of eating it.

If its a pre-prepared food you want to feed then I'd go with a good quality dry complete such as Burns or the like.

But you can't beat a natural diet.

I'd also not feed treats, cereal and whatever else to the pup as it will be filling up on those and not being hungry enough to want to eat its own food.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Karan,hun, don't like Bakers at all,it does,nt agree my lot at all :x

Can't beat the BARF diet as its good for them and all natural :thumbsup:

daledogs said:
Sorry Karan,hun, don't like Bakers at all,it does,nt agree my lot at all :x Can't  beat the BARF diet as its good for them and all natural :thumbsup:

Hi dawn :)

No worries love, its the only thing sasha will eat when she on one of her IM NOT EATING THAT RUBBISH fads but it does make her smelly. But when shes not eating as she is a small whippy as you know its better than not eating at all :huggles:

Karan

Kenmilquin said:
daledogs said:
Sorry Karan,hun, don't like Bakers at all,it does,nt agree my lot at all :x Can't  beat the BARF diet as its good for them and all natural :thumbsup:

No worries love, its the only thing sasha will eat when she on one of her IM NOT EATING THAT RUBBISH fads but it does make her smelly. But when shes not eating as she is a small whippy as you know its better than not eating at all :huggles:

Karan

Have you tried on on James Wellbeloved hun?

daledogs said:
Kenmilquin said:
daledogs said:

Karan

Have you tried on on James Wellbeloved hun?

yeah tried all sorts including that Burns and she just wont touch it, I know every dog is different but I could have a thousand dogs in my life and I wouldn't find another as fussy as sasha. Shes not always on it but normally she is on butchers dog meat ( which I wouldn't consider changing as its the only thing she never goes off) and a really basic mixer as its all she eats. and when you saw her if anything she was doing a bit to well on it as her waist line wasn't that obvious, but don't tell her I said that, she wont talk to me for a week. :- " :teehee:

Butchers Tripe i would say is the best out of the tinned range,that what my lot would have before they went on to the raw meat :D

Any more piccies? :- " :D

Hi...you might like to read my post on feeding tripe. I received great advice on there for feeding a raw diet.

Also, you could feed raw tripe and a mixer if you wanted to go that route. All my other dogs are fed on complete though I am just in the process of changing them over to Wainwrights and they love it. They have all been on Gelert previous to that which is a good complete food too.

They do a good ocean fish one which my dogs adore with no additives or gluten etc..

Hope you soon get sorted out.

daledogs said:
Butchers Tripe i would say is the best out of the tinned range,that what my lot would have before they went on to the raw meat :D
Any more piccies? :- "  :D

Tell you what dawn as its you I will see what I can do ;)

I get my raw meat from FORTHGLADE as its about 20 mins from me :D the only trouble is they are open 10am-4pm Mon-Fri so hubby's got to take half a day off to go and get it(i don't drive)so i get as much as my freezer can take.Pity they are not open Saturdays mornings as that would be idea :thumbsup:

Karan hun you feed what you think is best for your dogs :D :thumbsup: :huggles:

I wouldn't worry too much as Nico looks like she's in lovely condition - a healthy looking weight and lovely shiny coat. I feed Blue on Burns complete but he does like some tuna or chicken added to it - I guess it's less boring that way.

Jill

Have you tried your local butcher, I go once a week to my local butcher and pay him £5 for his bones, he is only a small butcher so he would throw them away and not sell them on, I get lamb necks and ribs as well as chicken carcases and wings, the dogs get kibble (dry food) every other day and then the bones every other day with a fast day thrown in for good measure.

If anybody would like to feed bones full time or only part time as I do I suggest you go and speak to your local butcher if its a small one, they may be able to help more than you think! :thumbsup:

daledogs said:
Any more piccies? :- "  :D

Don't half make mine f**t though! :lol:

Sardines make my girl eat anything :))

ghostlyease said:
Have you tried your local butcher, I go once a week to my local butcher and pay him £5 for his bones, he is only a small butcher so he would throw them away and not sell them on, I get lamb necks and ribs as well as chicken carcases and wings, the dogs get kibble (dry food) every other day and then the bones every other day with a fast day thrown in for good measure.
If anybody would like to feed bones full time or only part time as I do I suggest you go and speak to your local butcher if its a small one, they may be able to help more than you think!  :thumbsup:

I get bones from a local butcher, but he doesn't charge me anything as he has to PAY to get rid of them

Pauline

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back