The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My friend has fallen out with me because of politics

Jodie Rangers

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My friend and I are both Scottish. I don’t believe in Scottish independence and he does to the point that before the pandemic he would talk about it way too much in pubs.

The other day he texted me and asked me if I had changed my mind and I replied, “No”. He send me another text stating, “Don’t bother messaging me again. We are no longer friends. Good riddance.”

I mean, really??? I have known the guy for over a decade and he wants me out of his life because I don’t agree with his position on Scottish independence.

I feel really hurt.

It takes an adult to allow others to disagree without taking it personally or trying to change their minds. Your friend hasn't got there yet, and may never, because some people remain immature. You are better off apart, even though it is very painful at the moment.

What Hemlock said. If people could accept that other people's opinions were just as valid as their own, the world woul be a far better place.

Well come to politics 2021, if you dare to differ from the narrative you are deemed public enemy no1.

Ive always had a rule with friends. ..we dont Ever discuss politics or Religion :p:);)

Well come to politics 2021, if you dare to differ from the narrative you are deemed public enemy no1.

I have noticed that seems to be the way people to deal with people who disagree with them these days.

I lost touch with a person I had known from school a little while ago because I didn't agree with her conspiracy theories about Covid-19.

Ive always had a rule with friends. ..we dont Ever discuss politics or Religion :p:);)

I was brought up with that as a standard rule, especially in pubs or when people are drinking beer!

We live in Scotland and are aware of strong passions on this issue. My policy is to politely shut down any friend, family or colleague who brings it up. It's such a shame that a friendship has been broken like this. I think that social media (especially Twitter) has a lot to blame: people follow those with similar views and positions get entrenched to the point where everything is black or white and dissenting voices are set on by the pack.

Ooh, I have many conspiracy theories(some are actually true though and not theories, just not everyone can see it...yet...:rolleyes:) My family and friends generally just roll their eyes at me and tell me to shut up, which is fair enough, but one day I will be able to say " see I told you so!":p:D:D( unless the mother ship turns up for me in the meantime that is:cool:):D

Ooh, I have many conspiracy theories(some are actually true though and not theories, just not everyone can see it...yet...:rolleyes:) My family and friends generally just roll their eyes at me and tell me to shut up, which is fair enough, but one day I will be able to say " see I told you so!":p:D:D( unless the mother ship turns up for me in the meantime that is:cool:):D
PMSL reading your post

Was he looking for an reason / excuse to hurt you? Like he's irritated with you for some reason? It's a nasty thing to say and I understand the hurt. I'm originally from Scotland and it is a ultra-divisive subject: no-one wants to listen to arguments, everyone has a deeply held view. He should not have asked.

Politics and religion is a fight waiting to happen .

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back