The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My Girl Bruises Easily

beaker

*blackaholic* with contagious whippetitus
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
my girl Rosie has really thin skin and bruises at the drop of a hat, i took her for a walk today on a lovely flat field, she was having a run around with the others, nothing too rough, no obvious collisions, and she pulls up with a blobby haematoma(spelling?) on her chest, which has now flattened and spread into a big bruise, the skin isn't broken and it doesn't bother her. she has done it before but it goes in a couple of days as she heals quickly but i worry that she could end up rupturing something vital,other than this she is as healthy as they come. just wondered if anyone else has had experience of this and can suggest something more practical than wrapping her in cotton wool.

Picturebec_435.jpg

Picturebec_436.jpg

(w00t) that's one hefty bruise!!!!

Have you ever taken her to the vet about this? If not I'd suggest getting some tests done as there may be a blood disorder.

To help bruising you could always give her arnica.

Wendy

Wendy said:
Have you ever taken her to the vet about this?  If not I'd suggest getting some tests done as there may be a blood disorder.
To help bruising you could always give her arnica.

Wendy

vet just said she had thin skin,

she gets arnica if she has done something and witchhazel slapped on for good measure, the bruise will have pretty much disappeared in a couple of days

Very strange. On another board there was a whippet this happened to - looked just like this, but just happened once. I can't remember what the outcome was.

Wendy

Goodness that looks so sore, poor Rosie- hope she's more comfortable soon :(

:unsure: It looks like a burst blood vessel, quite large one. She has many of them on the surface, quite vissible, I would consult another vet. :luck: See what ILKC thinks.

Lida

Last edited by a moderator:
Nana gets the same, but only after a good thwack on something (which she does quite frequently as she is exceptionally clumsy). The first time it happened i took her to the vet who said it was just that her skin it thin, and being white the bruises are more obvious, and it is certainly true that her skin is a lot thinner than black Tess's. As with yours it clears up really quickly and doesn't seem to bother her.

:huggles: to Rosie

I agree that thin and pale-skinned animals will have much more prominent bruising than others, but if this has happened a few times and she never seems to have done anything which would account for it then I'd be inclined to keep a very close eye on her. There are various tests which can be done quite simply to see if blood clots normally, so it is something which can be invesigated. It may well be that she's just clonked herself somehow but if this is a recurring theme I'd maybe get her looked at again. She obviously enjoys her walks! :lol:

Yeouch,that looks horrible :( .

She could have caught herself with one of her legs while running.Izzy is prone to doing that & she's also thin skinned & bruises easily.

I know you've said you're giving her arnica,but after a bruise like that,i'd give her one pill every half hour for 6 hours,then reduce to one every 4 hours. I think i'd also gently rub arnica cream onto it.

Poor Rosie, that is not pleasant at all.

As Rosie tends to bruise so easily, it could be a symptom of low platelet cells which help the blood to clot. Maybe your vet could do a blood test.

Last edited by a moderator:
i decided "thin skin" wasn't a good enough reason, so have just taken her to the vets to have bloods done, nurse said "actually it is a bit watery" but have to wait till next week for results.

i'll let you know as soon as i get results, not sure if i want them to find anything or not :D :luck:

My dog had the same issue but he was 11 when it started and he had other problems with his heart and kidneys so this was the least of his worries. The vet did a series of blood tests but basically as he had other serious problems we never got to what caused the bruising. I hope everything is alright but thin skin does not sound correct. Good luck

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back