The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My Lure Machine Has Stopped Working

jinnyfizz

Coataholic
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just when I wanted to start the dogs off with a bit of practice, my lure machine has given up the ghost :(

When last used, it was working fine. I got it out again and it didn't work!

There is still power getting to the motor, but all that happens is a "click" and the spool gives a little jerk and that's it :blink:

It's not damp and I've tried tapping the starter motor with a hammer but ....... nothing :wacko:

If it was a car I'd try to rock it back and forwards whilst in gear in case the motor was jammed but I can't work out how to do that with a lure machine :lol:

Can anyone throw any light on what might have happened and if it can be fixed, please?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

My lure did exactly the same thing once. Sean (jinx and rubys mum) gave it a magic touch and its worked perfectly since.

May be worth 'pm' ing Sean to ask what he did!

Steve says tap the solenoid with a wooden stick, and check all your connections are clean and tight :thumbsup: Good luck :luck:

if you are running it off a battery not a car then check battery is ok, charge it then continuity test it across terminals and the tester should show charge of about 13.5, if it doesnt then try running off car (or visit Kev lol), my motorbike used to just click or reluctantly turn over once if the battery was out of juice

There is still power getting to the motor, but all that happens is a "click" and the spool gives a little jerk and that's it :blink: It's not damp and I've tried tapping the starter motor with a hammer but ....... nothing :wacko:
If you know that power is getting to the motor it would seem that the connections are ok. However, battery voltage is very important. After charging a 12v car battery should be at 12.7v if the voltage has dropped to 12.5 - the battery is only half charged. This small drop in voltage may seem small but it makes all the difference - because the windings of the motor take a large amount of current (amps) and any drop of voltage will result it a much large drop in current (and hence power).

Suggestion - fully charge your battery for 36 hours and try again!

Hope this sort your problem out..

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back