The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My mad chocolate brown lab Cocoa is 12, so funny and we love her to bits

Mark Forth

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Unfortunately she has been battling with arthritis for some time, walks reduced to twice a day for 10-20 mins for only 300-500 meters. Last night she collapsed, unable to stand without my help and in lots of pain. We took her to the emergency vets and she is taking additional pain killers but she is still unable to stand unaided. She is also anaemic and has muscle wastage causing additional complications with healing. We are trying to decide if we should go through more treatment, physio etc but also whether it’s time to think about letting her go. Would be great to talk to others on the forum about their experiences. Thanks Mark and Cocoa

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, but I'm so sorry to hear about Cocoa. I've not been in this situation so others will be able to give more advice, but I'd be having an honest talk with your vet about how difficult the further treatment will be and what the chances are that will give her more good-quality life. it might be that the pain of her arthritis and weakness in her legs are irreversible.

Hi Mark ,
Sorry to hear about cocoa we have just experienced the exact same situation with our 12 year old lurcher whom we had to let go day after boxing day ....her back legs had muscle wastage and she struggled for a couple of days and we knew her Quality of life was compromised. ...look at your girls quality of life and if it isn't good then we have to be selfless and let them go ...its the worst part of dog ownership ....lots of love to you xx

Hi and welcome to you both, though also very sorry to hear your situation with Cocoa. I would echo what Judy says above about having an honest chat with your vet about how difficult further treatment may be for her and how likely or how much recovery she may make to increase her quality of life.
It is always going to be a really tough decision to make and it is one that most of us on here have had to do, watching our dogs age and struggle is heart breaking. You know Cocoa best and obviously have great love and respect for her so I can only really say trust yourself...

7282ADA8-EA3A-4858-B0CF-CAC88B14914E.jpeg
58D1FDC6-C4F5-4A7F-8FFB-CFDBA4B52696.jpeg
D74DC36B-4BC2-4EE1-9C2D-35567024F7D0.jpeg
D355D3F2-F2B7-4B77-9759-76BF2AF7334C.jpeg
307C0D32-ECBB-4A16-AC9C-530CB866FC9C.jpeg
CB38F7A0-0651-4018-910F-467640DF1C65.jpeg
8135D9D0-790B-471A-8C32-F918AD83BB1C.jpeg
93864414-3DE1-41F5-BC20-81EE08307E10.jpeg
05DF9012-4C77-4A64-B813-CDBAF1637F6E.jpeg
5D40F842-5320-436E-9171-94B7361BC61F.jpeg

Many thanks all for your feedback.

Unfortunately we had to say goodbye to our gorgeous girl Cocoa after further complications were found by the vets overnight.

Who ever knew how much a furry four legged animal that uses Jedi knight mind tricks to get you to go walking in all weathers, chews through all your furniture, makes you pick up after them, rolls in fox poo and takes you flip flop skating in nettles could affect you this much - god we miss her - but so many happy memories.

Thanks again everyone

I’m so sorry for your loss. She was utterly gorgeous.

Hi Mark ,
Sorry to hear about cocoa we have just experienced the exact same situation with our 12 year old lurcher whom we had to let go day after boxing day ....her back legs had muscle wastage and she struggled for a couple of days and we knew her Quality of life was compromised. ...look at your girls quality of life and if it isn't good then we have to be selfless and let them go ...its the worst part of dog ownership ....lots of love to you xx

thanks for your kind words - Tinytom

What a lovely, lovely dog - I am so sorry for your loss.

'flip-flop skating in nettles' did make me laugh though!

So, so sorry for your loss. Beautiful photos of a beautifully, happy dog, you can see you gave her a wonderful life, they have made me smile whilst welling up at the same time...thank you for sharing x

What a wonderful time you had together. It's never long enough, but you did the best for Cocoa despite it being so hard for you. My thoughts are with you.

Really sorry for you. They do get into one’s heart - bless them. From the photos she had a lovely life and you couldn’t have given her more. All the best.

Thanks again to everyone for your kind words. It's very comforting to hear your comments. Just today my daughter posted a video, a year ago from today, of her running like a crazy dog in the back garden when it was snowing - she loved the snow! We're all feeling a bit melancholic. It's difficult to concentrate, you have waves of immense sadness drift over you, we drop food on the floor and for a second imagine she is there begging for scraps, we are grieving I guess and I do not write this to be sad but to remind me how wonderful she was and how we should treasure every moment with our dogs no matter how challenging it can be sometimes. The house is so quiet and empty without her but I'm glad she is no longer suffering and hopefully, as time goes by, the pain for us losing her will fade a little. Have a great day everyone and although a little weird I have one request that you do something fun with your dog today - have a crazy "cocoa" moment!

Last edited:
I have one request that you do something fun with your dog today - have a crazy "cocoa" moment!
That's a lovely suggestion, we will think of Cocoa when we do something in her memory later.

That's a beautiful post, Mark. I'll also think of her later while having quality time with Jasper.

Im so sorry for your loss, Cocoa seemed to have so much character :-(

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back