The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My poor boy has cancer

Spotthestaffy

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
This is my first post and will be the saddest I'll ever make. I rescued a staff cross when he was 6months old, he is 9 now. He went off his food 2 weeks ago so took him to the vets on Saturday when he was examined and the vet wasn' happy with how his heart beat sounded. So back in Monday for Xrays which showed a mass on his left lung. CT scan yesterday and it' the worst news ever not only has a tumor engulfed his left lung it' started on his right and they can't operate. He has a bad cough which is a sign of breathing issues. Im going to my vets again today to try and find out how long he has a good quality of life for as I cant' find anything on the internet. Chemo is an option I'm told...cant stop crying the poor thing he is the happiest dog in the world even now trying to be himself.

I'm so very sorry for your diagnosis, you must be devastated. I sincerely hope your vet can do something to help prolong a good quality of life for him. Bear in mind that you ave provided this dog with over 8 years of love and devotion, which no doubt has been returned by him to you, and being a rescue dog there is no doubt he has had a much better, longer and fulfilling life than he would have had if you hadn't met. My fingers are crossed for you. If you feel up to it, please let us know how it goes.

I'm so very sorry for your diagnosis, you must be devastated. I sincerely hope your vet can do something to help prolong a good quality of life for him. Bear in mind that you ave provided this dog with over 8 years of love and devotion, which no doubt has been returned by him to you, and being a rescue dog there is no doubt he has had a much better, longer and fulfilling life than he would have had if you hadn't met. My fingers are crossed for you. If you feel up to it, please let us know how it goes.
Thankyou so much, I never cry but I've not stopped since I found out. He had mr2 up at 4am cause he was hungry bless him so still eating!

I am sorry, as pet owners, timing when to let them go is the hardest decision we make. To help make a difficult choice, there is a scale to help assess their quality of life in relation to Hurt, Hunger, Hydration, Hygiene, Happiness, Mobility and More good days than bad days. You can find more detail here
Pawspice And Animal Oncology Consultation Service - Veterinarian In Hermosa Beach, CA USA :: Quality of Life Scale
There is a saying, better a week too soon than a day too late. It's a terrible decision but one that responsible owners have to face. If it helps, the Blue Cross has a pet bereavement counselling service.

I'm really sorry to hear this sad news @Spotthestaffy - they play such a big role in our lives that it's like losing part of the family. Like @arealhuman said you must try and focus on all the good years you've had together. Hopefully the vets will be able to do something to give him a bit more time of good quality living - make the most of it! Give him his favourite treats, lots of cuddles and if he's up to it take him on his favourite walks! Make this time count.

Lots of support on here for you

Just tried to take him on his fav walk to see my parents and he stopped every 50meters...im hoping it' still just down to the anaesthetic. He has eaten lots this morning and drank lots of water....but I can' believe how different he is in 7 days :-( thankyou evrryone x

This is always such a difficult thing to do, but a must, if we really care for our pets comfort and quality of life.
It never gets any easier to make the decision.
I have the same decision to make shortly with my oldie. it' just horrible.
As Joanne said, it's better a week to soon than a week too late.

Best wishes.

It' turned into worst case for my poor boy spot he has cancer in lungs kidneys spleen and liver. Vets have said chemo is no longer an option and to make sure he doesn' suffer I have 7 days with from yesterday. I have never felt pain like this I can' stop crying.

I'm so sorry:( Try to make his last week a special one, to celebrate the wonderful life you gave him. Favourite walks, sausages for every meal, that sort of thing - if he can enjoy them. If he has no quality of life right now though, personally I wouldn't wait out the whole seven days. (((((Hugs)))))

I'm so sorry:( Try to make his last week a special one, to celebrate the wonderful life you gave him. Favourite walks, sausages for every meal, that sort of thing - if he can enjoy them. If he has no quality of life right now though, personally I wouldn't wait out the whole seven days. (((((Hugs)))))
He' eating like a horse at the moment and drinking and going out for wee weed etc. Tried taking him to his fav field this morning but got tired too quickly so brought him home. Whole of living room is covered in blankets including off my bed. We are doing a special Christmas day just for him Tuesday. Took him vets and they said he is not in any pain

So sorry to hear your sad news @Spotthestaffy - something every owner dreads to hear.

Make each and every day that you have left count with your boy. I bet he will love his Christmas Day, I’m sure there will be lots of pigs in blankets!! Try and be strong for him, he probably feels more sadness seeing you cry than knowing he has cancer.

Will be thinking of you and we are all here to support you x

So sorry to read this. Lot's of cuddles required. I'd give anything to have one more cuddle with my previous dog.

So sorry. Although you won't believe it now, time is a great healer and and whilst you'll never forget him, you will be able to come to terms with this and move on. My best wishes to you.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back