The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My poor sausage

JoanneF

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Spent yesterday at the vets. He had two lumps removed and a scale and polish under GA. And, I am embarrassed to say, the very back two molars (upper L and R) removed - and I thought I was the dental hygiene evangelist :oops:.

He is eating soft food, has toiletted normally, slept ok, is a bit brighter this morning and is using his inflatable cone like a neck pillow. He had his NSAID meds with a generous breakfast and we shall do a short walk as soon as the sleet stops (July, I imagine).

Here is the little soldier.

20180404_101512.jpg

Oh he does look sorry for himself poor chap! Are they biopsying the lumps or is that not necessary?

Fingers crossed for the sleet stopping. It's just rain here but I'm going to have to brave it. Pup is going stir crazy.

Poor boy:( That cone looks very comfortable though.

I'm glad he slept well. Sedatives/anaesthetics mess with Jasper's brain and he cries all. night. long. after.

Thanks both. The lumps have been completely removed (needle aspirations are often inconclusive so i didn't see the point) and sent off for for analysis. I am pretty sure one was a fatty cyst and the other a wart but since I wanted the cyst removed, the wart was as well to come out too. The charge for histopathology is the same for up to 3 sites anyway - so naturally I spent the weekend looking for a 3rd lump! :D

Yesterday he gave a few little noisy sighs but more "I don't feel right and I don't know why" than pain.

He is enjoying being spoiled with the special recovery food and relaxing. Mr F spent last night in the downstairs spare room (as opposed to slept downstairs, apparently very little sleep was had) and didn't hear him move.

Oh the poor chap - hope he's feeling better soon.

His bed looks super comfy though! :oops:

Ah yes - Harri cried for hours after coming round from sedation. I wasn't expecting that. I knew he wasn't in pain as it was such a minor thing that sedation was optional. I thought it would spare him some stress - he is such an incredibly good natured little thing that he'd have let them do it without but I don't want to trade on his good nature and then have him scared of the vet. I'm not sure I made the right call though.

JoanneF - I let Harri spend the night on my bed - it was that or the sofa. He also slept well once he dropped off. Me? not so much but at least I was comfortable!

Thank you. @Josie, that's just his day bed. The night time bed has a memory foam mattess and his favourite supersoft blanket - I suspect it is better than mine!

JoanneF - I let Harri spend the night on my bed [post-surgery] - it was that or the sofa. He also slept well once he dropped off. Me? not so much, but at least I was comfortable!

coward that i am, & given how incredibly high some current-style beds are from the floor, i wouldn't want a dog recovering from GA on any human bed. :oops: Some beds nowadays practically need a ladder to get in, as the mattress is 18-inches thick plus the depth of the box-spring & the height of the frame, so a dog who's a bit woozy from GA could clumsily roll or go to get up, & fall quite a ways, to crash onto the floor. :eek:

I put dogs recovering from any surgery with GA into a crate with a cushy pad or vet-fleece, & i set the crate directly beside my [non-high-rise] bed. I can see & hear them, they can hear me, & i'm right there if they don't feel well, plus they can't possibly get up & wander toward the stairs in the dark, or absent-mindedly roll over, & fall out of bed!
My dogs aren't accustomed to sleeping on human beds [sofas, yes; not beds], & i don't want to risk a thumping fall in the middle of the night - to say nothing of a hairy face with bad-breath waking me at the crack of dawn, hoping for a walk... ;) Oh, is that U, honey? - Sorry - i thought it was the dog... :oops:

- terry

coward that i am, & given how incredibly high some current-style beds are from the floor, i wouldn't want a dog recovering from GA on any human bed. :oops: Some beds nowadays practically need a ladder to get in, as the mattress is 18-inches thick plus the depth of the box-spring & the height of the frame, so a dog who's a bit woozy from GA could clumsily roll or go to get up, & fall quite a ways, to crash onto the floor. :eek:

I put dogs recovering from any surgery with GA into a crate with a cushy pad or vet-fleece, & i set the crate directly beside my [non-high-rise] bed. I can see & hear them, they can hear me, & i'm right there if they don't feel well, plus they can't possibly get up & wander toward the stairs in the dark, or absent-mindedly roll over, & fall out of bed!
My dogs aren't accustomed to sleeping on human beds [sofas, yes; not beds], & i don't want to risk a thumping fall in the middle of the night - to say nothing of a hairy face with bad-breath waking me at the crack of dawn, hoping for a walk... ;) Oh, is that U, honey? - Sorry - i thought it was the dog... :oops:

- terry

Don't worry - he's been fully conscious for 8 hours or more. It was only a light sedation but he reacted badly to it. He was just very very unhappy and wanted to cuddle up.

awwh bless him, that collar looks better than those plastic things! Where do you buy them from? Wishing him a speedy recovery

Get well soon Timber! Fingers crossed for the results.

Thank you all. He seems to be enjoying his convalescence.

awwh bless him, that collar looks better than those plastic things! Where do you buy them from? Wishing him a speedy recovery

They are good, nice and soft with a removable fabric cover that can be washed easily, and nice and soft to lie on with little restriction on his vision. Also he doesn't bang into things with it. I bought it from Amazon. That one is the medium and only just fits Timber, he is 8 kilos so normally classed as a small dog so beware of small sizing.

Thank you all. He seems to be enjoying his convalescence.

They are good, nice and soft with a removable fabric cover that can be washed easily, and nice and soft to lie on with little restriction on his vision. Also he doesn't bang into things with it. I bought it from Amazon. That one is the medium and only just fits Timber, he is 8 kilos so normally classed as a small dog so beware of small sizing.

Thank you..I have a border collie would she need a Large or XL then?

Well, I had a call from the vet earlier. It was a low grade mast cell tumour. No evidence of cancer in the margins though. So while we are really upset, we also are optimistic. What makes me a little cross though is that at his last annual check, I spoke to the vet about it and she said it probably was nothing but to keep an eye on it and see if it grew. Now, on having read more about these, there are signs that I would have thought she would pick up (given it's so common). Anyway. He is being rather spoiled now.

Oh, that's not good. But hopefully they've managed to remove the whole thing and that'll be the end of it. Fingers crossed.

very frustrating but at least you know to keep a check on things and hopefully he won’t get anymore.

I’m sure he’s enjoying being spoilt!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back