The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

my Q for Miami ACC? - how did an adopter with a history of dead & MIA pets ADOPT 2 DOGS in 1 day?

Discussion in 'General Dog Forum' started by leashedForLife, Jun 14, 2018.

1. leashedForLife

leashedForLife Well-Known Member Registered

This is extremely disturbing -

around 13-mins / 25-secs on the clip [13:25], we see a badly-emaciated adult M Boxer, Tyler, emerge from an ACC truck; along with starvation, he has serious skin issues [missing hair, crusting, open lesions] AND a bad slice into his upper-left arm. The wound is puffy & ugly; a gaping, full-skin-depth cut, that runs over half the length of the upper arm, & its girth is 2/3 the width of the arm.
    He's been picked up roaming stray, & his microchip connects him to his adopter.
    This dog was adopted from their own shelter, just 5-mos ago. When an officer checks into the adopter's background, there are a slew of previous adoptees with "died"... "lost"... "Gave away"... "Died"... "died"... "Gave away"... behind their names. :eek:
    Yet this person was approved to adopt not one, but TWO dogs... s/he adopted a SECOND Boxer on the same day as this dog, & more bad news, that dog also came in today, also picked up stray, & he's in even-worse condition than Tyler. :confused:

How the H*** did someone with such a bad past-history of irresponsible care, get approved as an adopter?!?!
    There's just no excuse; their past file is years & years, shelter staff had this info readily available. It's inexplicable to me.
    "Past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior." - This is just as true of humans as it is of any other species; ppl who neglected their past pets are very likely to neglect their current & future pets.

Ppl complain about how hard it is to adopt a pet from a shelter or rescue; yes, some organizations, usually rescues, are excessively picky. // But here's a large municipal shelter that fell on its face, failing to protect the animals in their care from someone with a long & well-documented Hx of neglecting & discarding adopted pets.
    SMACK!... Wake up, Miami-Dade! - Shame on U.

- terry

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  2. leashedForLife

leashedForLife Well-Known Member Registered

there's a typo in my title - sorry. :oops:
    I asked a Mod to fix it shortly after i posted the thread; hopefully, it will be corrected soon.
    Meantime, it's spozed to read, "a history of dead & M.I.A. pets...", not, "or dead..."

I apologize for the confusion.
    - terry