The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Naughtiness

Marie1958

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all. Can anyone explain reason why if i.m on phone.eating or not paying Rosie any attention she will then jump up on sofa and knock cushions off onto floor then start digging at sofa if tell her No she will snap at me and roll onto her back so i cant pick her up to put her into kitchen
Is this just an attention seeking or just pup being pup or is it Mums not looking lets be naughty lol

Sounds like she wants your attention. As long as she doesn't really need anything like to go out etc, and has had exercise and play; you might want to teach a 'settle down'. Kikopup on YouTube has videos. It's a good idea to teach an 'off' switch in dogs, they don't always have it naturally.

It sounds like she's worked out how to get you to have a fun game with her! It's not 'naughty' though - it's just 'being a dog'. You should probably try to pay her more attention, and give her treats, for when she's being 'good', such as lying on her bed quietly chewing a toy. It's so easy to ignore them then, and just give them attention when they're doing something you'd rather they wouldn't do.

I'd work generally on a good 'settle down'. You could even make pretend phone calls or do some pretend cooking while she's settling down, so she learns that staying on her bed while you're on the phone for 10 seconds results in a treat, then 15 seconds, then 20 seconds. When you're really on the phone, you could ask her to settle on her bed and throw her a treat every so often as long as she's still there.

Also, when you know you're going to be on the phone or cooking, you could shut her away from the room with the sofa and give her something to do, like a treat ball, a chew, or a cardboard box to shred.

I'd also train a good 'off' from the sofa, so instead of 'telling her off' or trying to shove her off, you're asking her to do a fun trick for a great reward. 'No' is too vague for a dog, they do much better if told what to do than expected to realise what it is they shouldn't do.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back