The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Need Advice on Doggy Daycare Incident – Feeling Frustrated

My sweet potato

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and looking for some advice. I recently had a really upsetting experience with a doggy daycare service, and I’m at a bit of a loss on what to do next.

A few weeks ago, I booked a doggy daycare for my dog while I was on holiday. It was her first time with this service, and things went terribly wrong. The dog walker took her and seven other dogs to a local park, and my dog ended up running across a motorway trying to get home. She was hit by two cars but, thankfully, only suffered some cuts on her back leg. The vet bills, though, have added up to a huge amount.

I emailed the dog walker, sharing the vet bills and asking for reimbursement, but she refuses to pay. She claims her insurance doesn’t cover this incident and denies responsibility. Here’s what she said:

1. No Pre-Walk Meetup
    We had arranged a meetup a week before, but the dog walker forgot. I reminded her via WhatsApp on the day, but she didn’t respond. We scheduled another meetup while I was on holiday, and my partner was supposed to meet her. Unfortunately, my partner only confirmed the daycare booking and didn’t mention the meetup, and the dog walker didn’t bring it up either.
    The dog walker later claimed that if she had known my dog was anxious, she wouldn’t have taken her. Oddly, her website says she’s a professional dog trainer experienced with anxious dogs. I had no idea my dog would be anxious in this situation since she’s fine walking with me or friends. I trusted the dog walker to handle it professionally.
  2. Leash Incident
    The dog walker says my dog was on a leash the entire time, but it slipped out of her hand when they were heading back to the van. She claimed that this happens regularly and wasn’t her fault.
  3. No Legal Contract
    We made the booking via WhatsApp. The dog walker was recommended by our neighbor, who uses her service regularly. My partner dropped off our dog with the neighbor, and the dog walker picked her up from there. The dog walker is now saying she was only doing a favor for our neighbor.
I researched online and found that dog walker insurance should cover incidents like this, but she hasn’t given me a clear reason why her insurance won’t pay. My insurance says I should be able to claim from her insurance since the accident happened under her care.

I’m incredibly frustrated. Not only was my dog almost killed, but the dog walker hasn’t taken any responsibility, followed up on the incident, or even apologized. I’ve also checked with the local council and couldn’t find her listed as a licensed doggy daycare provider. Does this mean she’s operating without a permit?

I feel like my only option now is to take this to small claims court. Has anyone been through something similar? Any advice on how to handle this legally?

Also, on an emotional level, I’m heartbroken. My dog is now terrified of cars, and I have to carry her whenever we’re near a road. Any tips on how to rebuild her confidence when walking near traffic?

Thanks for reading, and I really appreciate any guidance you can offer.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back