The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Need advice on puppy food, please

Maggie Mul

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
So our puppy has become a bit of a fusspot with her usual kibble. Totally my fault, as when she wasn't eating her usual amount, I added some yummy leftover chicken or salmon to entice her!! Now she is turning her nose up at plain boring kibble!! We are almost at the end of the bag so thought maybe this was a good time to try something else? Sound ok so far? we have limited availability of good pet supplies over here, but I have found one shop which stocks the following products. I have done a quick bit of research and they all seem ok, but anyone better than the other? At the moment our pup is on Royal Canin puppy kibble. Which one would you choose? Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 9.16.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 9.16.41 AM.png
    196.1 KB · Views: 316
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 9.17.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 9.17.01 AM.png
    302 KB · Views: 328
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 9.17.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 9.17.18 AM.png
    159.8 KB · Views: 212
These are all good quality foods, better than Royal Canin. If I were choosing I would probably go with the grain free (but that said there is some grain in the food I use but It is the one my dog does best on and it suits us because of other reasons too) but any of these are good quality dry. The main thing to add is change over gradually, mixing increasing amounts of the new with the old.

If you think your pup is still a bit fussy, adding some warm water to the kibble helps release the aroma and makes it more appealing to some dogs.

Many people advocate tough love over food - if it isn't eaten, lift after 20 minutes and no treats until the dog eats it. I take a different view (within reason). I would rather see my dog enjoy his food rather than just eat to live so I am fairly relaxed about making food interesting by adding a little spoonful of wet food to coat the kibble or feeding it in something like a snuffle mat.

These are all good quality foods, better than Royal Canin. If I were choosing I would probably go with the grain free (but that said there is some grain in the food I use but It is the one my dog does best on and it suits us because of other reasons too) but any of these are good quality dry. The main thing to add is change over gradually, mixing increasing amounts of the new with the old.

If you think your pup is still a bit fussy, adding some warm water to the kibble helps release the aroma and makes it more appealing to some dogs.

Many people advocate tough love over food - if it isn't eaten, lift after 20 minutes and no treats until the dog eats it. I take a different view (within reason). I would rather see my dog enjoy his food rather than just eat to live so I am fairly relaxed about making food interesting by adding a little spoonful of wet food to coat the kibble or feeding it in something like a snuffle mat.

Thanks - some useful info here. We are dealing with a number of other issues, so I would rather sort this one out before it becomes another one added to our list! She doesn't seem to enjoy the Canin so I am happy to try another one, especially if it is better for her. I will go on Saturday and have a look at what they have and go for one of the grain free ones.

Just another thought - Timber 'works' for his lunch by doing training or tricks. It seems to add a perceived value to it so he wants it that little bit more because he has earned it. It might be worth a try.

I tried this today but when she realised it was just kibble and not anything she regards as yummy, she just walked away and went and lay down!!!:D:D. She clearly has had enough of her current food! Got out a bit of yummy stuff and voila, she did everything I asked!!!

We have never fed Timber's current food in a bowl, only as rewards or in an interactive tool like his snuffle mat, with the sole purpose of keeping it more special. Maybe you will have more success if you try that when you change over.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back