The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Neospara in Raw Beef Mince?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I did say it was a lie because that is the information I have been told.

I was told this by my vet...if you think he's wrong then so be it but from his experience and his years of raw feeding and advice of raw feeding I beleive him.

As far as I'm concerned there is alot of information about there about this and everyone has their own opinion/views about it and will obviously give them when asked...alot of it will be conflicting as we have seen from the begining of this post.

I didn't mean as to say anyone was lying about their own or someone else's experience and if it came across that was I appoligise. But I didn't directly say anyone was lying. The information about Neospara was a lie...maybe could word things better...

I would like to say that most raw meat that is given to alot of dogs these days comes pre-frozen or is frozen soon after purchase (if bought from a butcher) as its the only way to store large amounts of meat.

BTW the survey was carried out by a vet and his findings was put in print but it was also discussed at a seminar...and yes my vet told me this as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
My OH has found a link...yes its from an internet search but there you go...it explains alot and even put my vet in the wrong if it is actually correct...I will be having words with him on Thursday to find out!!!!!!!!

This just goes to show not everybody can be right all of the time...

Its quite an interesting read...

http://www.mri.sari.ac.uk/parasitology-reports-12.asp

hellybobs said:
My OH has found a link...yes its from an internet search but there you go...it explains alot and even put my vet in the wrong if it is actually correct...I will be having words with him on Thursday to find out!!!!!!!!
This just goes to show not everybody can be right all of the time...

Its quite an interesting read...

http://www.mri.sari.ac.uk/parasitology-reports-12.asp

All what it says is that neospora causes abortion in cows, and therefore dogs should not be allowed to eat aborted feotuses, or to be allowed near cattle feed and water. :unsure: Parasite that kills it's host in short period of time would not survive for very long.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is very intersting as Ive never heard about this before ,Is it because we arent feeding the cows as nature intened ( just grass ) my whippets were brought up on scrapes as we didnt have all this fancy complete stuff , or even much tinned food for that matter . they all lived to a ripe old age too , all there own teeth threw eating bones . just as they would in the wild , But i suppose thats progress !

Well I read it differently...I understood it to say that dogs are or can be the host of the parasite.

That if cattle eat the poo of the host dog they can contract the parasite and if the cowhappens to be pregnant it then can abort...as can a bitch who gets pregnant .

But the parasit can live within the host with no ill effects until a pregnancy occurs...then the problems begin...

I had to re-read it twice and to the end to get the jist of what it all meant.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back