The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Neutering A Boy

Donlin

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I've got a gorgeous 2.5yr old boy who's showing increasing interest in the fairer sex when we're out walking in our local fields and woods and it can be a challenge to recall him from chasing her, quite apart from the worry of him becoming a father. He hasn't wandered (yet) but I've been advised that we should castrate him asap because of his age. My 2 sons aged 11 and 13 say its cruel (they would wouldn't they!) and husband is worried that it might change his personality. I don't think we are likely to offer his services for breeding. Has anyone had a bad experience of castrating in this situation? Thanks

we had Bobs plums removed last june, and its been better for him as he no longer sniffs around the girls so does'nt get told off for getting abit randy with them :thumbsup:

the next day he was out walking on a lead, the only chang in him is he has NO interest in the girls, other than a cuddle up on the sofa :thumbsup:

Thanks very much - that's encouraging. I'll see if that changes the opinion of the men in my life. Sorry for this appearing twice - its the first time I've tried posting a topic!!!

Thanks very much - that's encouraging. I'll see if that changes the opinion of the men in my life. Sorry for this appearing twice - its the first time I've tried posting a topic!!!
really dont worry about it changing him, it will i the way he see's females, Bob is so shilled out living with 4 girls, and when we go racing he is in the van with 8 girls :eek: even when they are in season he is not interested, im not sure if the switch off is for all dogs, but he never mounts the girls now ;)

years ago mum had a little dog that was in love with their cat...whould get a little over excited with him, after the plums came off he never "humped" the cat again :b , so in both male dogs we have had it's done the trick :thumbsup:

allways had my lads done we have 2 greyhound lad now they were both done around age 3 after racing and after about 6 months from them having the snip they never bothers with girls at all my girles do and try anything and everything to get some interset and nothing works. infact one of my lad milo sneezes if the girls shove there bit in his face lol

i'm seriously considering getting Popsy done. just wanted to ask what is the average price of castration?

After lots of consideration (2 years!) we got our boy done at the end of last year. It has not changed his character at all apart from making him more playful, overfriendly with everyone we meet and wanting to play with every dog he sees. We made the decision as he was getting a bit aggressive with some dogs (usually uneutered males) and he seemed to be getting picked on more and more and was starting to retaliate. He still has his moments but he loves most dogs we meet.

I am pleased we did it as he does seem more content with himself and he does not drink dog wee any more :D and stopped sniffing every other step.

Lisa

my vet charges £50 for boys £60 for girls

which i have been told is cheep

I now remember vaguely seeing the price list on the wall at our vets, I think it was £150 :eek: maybe the practice just is expensive? a visit costs £35

I now remember vaguely seeing the price list on the wall at our vets, I think it was £150 :eek: maybe the practice just is expensive? a visit costs £35
£150 is really expensive for a castration. All of the vets up here vary their prices by weight - so a St Bernard would cost more to castrate than a toy poodle. ;) But nowhere has the price been above £100.

Having never owned a dog before and having no idea about vets I did loads of shopping around and found all sorts of price variations and policies - in the end I went with the ones who seemed nicest and they were fairly middling in price. I think it's £60 for a castration and if we get both boys done we get a 10% discount...not quite bogof but "every little helps" :clown:

Incidentally they microchip at 6 months (so quite often do this at the same time) apparently the chips are less likely to migrate in older pups.?

costs depend on area of country you live in as well as varying from one practice to the next. Personally I'd stay with the practice I was already registered with if you're happy with the service they offer.

PS Wales cheapest, SE England most expensive if you're planning on relocating!

or I could just grab Popsy along when going to a show with Eskil :D

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back