The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Neutering

Tinytom

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Lately i have noticed alot of intact dogs .... (i dont go specifically looking :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:)
We have always neutered (except our old family dogs when i was growing up )or they are already neutered as we have always rescued apart from Tilly and she was neutered at 18 mths old ...
I was always under the impression it was better health wise to neuter ......
Has thinking /opinions changed;)

There are pros and cons, so it's an individual decision per dog per household per environment. I kept a stud dog and he was an absolute gentleman and never a moment's bother once he was past adolescence. Most of my friends keep entire male dogs as well. So it isn't the case that a dog is badly behaved if entire - that's all about training.

Healthwise, entire dogs tend to get testicular tumours and castrated ones get testicular cancer. Male dogs and male humans are prone to prostate issues late in life, and I never yet knew of a programme to castrate male humans to prevent it.

With female dogs, it's kept very quiet about urinary incontinence after spaying. I had one bitch spayed and she was incontinent for the rest of her life. I ruined her life thinking I was doing what was best. I have never had another bitch spayed, and I've owned plenty. I am very careful about seasons and pyometra risk. My vet is happy with this. I have only had one incidence of mammary tumours, and that was the only bitch I didn't breed a litter from. I know a lot of spayed bitches that have had mammary tumours too.

So - we do what's best for us. Modern thinking is to leave neutering until the dog/bitch has matured physically. For bitch owners, that means having everybody in the household trustworthy with closing doors and gates. Mine have always come on heat once a year for four weeks, so that makes things easier to manage. But incontinence is 24/7/365, and though there are meds for it, some dogs react badly to them. No right answer, no wrong answer, just getting all the info and making the decision.

One issue that isn't often mentioned is that if you keep a male unneutered, other males (neutered or not) are likely to go for him. If your dog is likely to retaliate, this can result in a fight and injuries, and if he's less confident, it's going to make him lose even more confidence.

Of course, the onus is on the other owner to control their dog, but many don't even realise why their dog takes exception to certain other dogs, or just take the attitude that dogs will be dogs and should sort themselves out. And even when they try to put their dog on lead whenever they see a dog who might be entire, mistakes happen.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back