The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Never Ever Do This..........

Whippets Rule

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
walk towards a low wall with two beagle on extending leads!!!!

we did....they jumped the wall (w00t) and fell 12 feet onto barbed wire/brambles and broken glass!!!

I ended up jumping into brambles/barbed wire and broken glass to rescue them (w00t) :clown:

I was shaking like a leaf..when James jumped, he was hanging by his collar until he fell out of it...Little Bill just dropped like a stone!!! his lead helpfully extending freely on the way down.!!

having got them to safety, which was a nightmare, as the brambles were really dense, and removed around forty thorns from James, he has got away with a few small cuts and a puncture wound near his bottom and probably a very sore neck where he hung himself.

Poor Little Bill has got a shredded tummy and has some quite nasty wounds, he has had some antibiotics and a clean up with iodine and they have both had some pain relief.

All we did was walk over to a wall to see what was the other side but helpful people have dropped empty vodka bottles etc over the wall into all the brambles and there was a barbed wire fence too under the brambles.....

we walked home with me muttering under my breath " stupid f***ing woman why did you want to see over the wall!" (w00t) ...

just be warned " curiosity killed the cat and very nearly badly hurt my dogs!!!! "

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh good lord, what a nightmare. You just wouldn't expect dogs to jump blindly over a wall with a drop at the other side - and Beagles are supposed to be intelligent! :unsure:

"Look before you leap" is the motto that comes to mind!

I'm glad they aren't badly hurt, but it must have been very scary for all of you :eek:

So very sorry to hear of your unfortunate accident. Hugs

thanks...I just didn't expect them to jump..stooopid beagles and James is such a bright boy, am clicker training him nicely and teaching him a few tricks with it too..just haven't got a " don't jump the wall" trick in our repertoire yet (w00t) .

Poor Little Bill's tummy is ever so sore. :unsure:

as for scary..well when I emerged from the undergrowth with a beagle under each arm, I must confess I was shaking :clown: thought they'd be badly hurt for sure...must admit my OH was quite shocked that I jumped straight over the wall after them too (w00t) must have looked pretty crazy two dogs jump a wall and fall twelve feet followed closely by their middle aged owner!! (w00t) (w00t)

OMG (w00t) Im so sorry this happened to your poor boys, it could have been so much worse...Im so glad they are both ok.

poor mites give them a hug from me.

Im sorry I dont want to upset you in any way at all...but I hate those extending leads with a vengeance..and this is one very good

example...I binned mine after almost cutting my own hands and my old dog Chips legs with the cord...

Anyway Im glad in this case, your boys were not badly hurt ...or worse..which dosnt bear thinking about... :huggles: I think you

need a stiff drink and a Hug too.. :thumbsup:

What a nightmare (w00t) That's the sort of thing I would go and do!!!!

Hope everyone is ok :huggles:

OMG (w00t) Im so sorry this happened to your poor boys, it could have been so much worse...Im so glad they are both ok.poor mites give them a hug from me.

Im sorry I dont want to upset you in any way at all...but I hate those extending leads with a vengeance..and this is one very good

example...I binned mine after almost cutting my own hands and my old dog Chips legs with the cord...

Anyway Im glad in this case, your boys were not badly hurt ...or worse..which dosnt bear thinking about... :huggles: I think you

Hi and thank you......I'm not keen on extending leads but having two beagles makes them a necessity at times especially because Little Bill cannot be let off lead at the moment as he has practically no recall. James can go off lead but since I walk them together, Bill goes mad if James is running free. Atleast this way they get a bit of a scamper about and not just walking...we have a couple of places where we can let them off together for a short time but once Bill gets distracted, he's off and the risk of being run over etc is greater.

When you own beagles, you are kind of "caught between the devil and the deep blue sea"...their instincts take over from their training and I'm just lucky that James has good recall but the little fella is much like my old beagle Parker and just can't be trusted not to get on a scent..

Hope the boys (and you ) are feeling better after your horrible experience :luck:

What an awful experience for you and the boys. :( I do hope you are all feeling better and their wounds heal up quickly. :luck: :luck:

I too don't like extending leads, but as you say, sometimes they are necessary to give some dogs a nicer walk when they can't be let off the lead safely.

What a terrible experience. So glad nothing was broken or anyone seriously hurt.

I loathe extending leads after having had one or two bad experiences with them.

I now only use them when absolutely necessary i.e for recall training

After your experience, I will only use mine in areas I know really well or in large open areas.

It sounds like you were lucky that the injuries were not a lot worse.

Hope that you are all recovering well from your cuts and bruises.

Ouch! ... I hope you're all feeling better soon. That sounds awful, landing on all that stuff ...

Take care and get better soon

Gill

thanks folks, they're both fine, back to normal mischief...Bill is healing nicely and has been base jumping from the double rabbit hutches as usual!! :clown: (w00t)

thanks folks, they're both fine, back to normal mischief...Bill is healing nicely and has been base jumping from the double rabbit hutches as usual!! :clown: (w00t)
*makes mental note not to have Beagles* LOL :D :D :D :D

Seriously I'm glad they're well and back to normal, and none of you broke any bones or anything - what a scary experience though :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gill

OMG (w00t) Im so sorry this happened to your poor boys, it could have been so much worse...Im so glad they are both ok.poor mites give them a hug from me.

Hi and thank you......I'm not keen on extending leads but having two beagles makes them a necessity at times especially because Little Bill cannot be let off lead at the moment as he has practically no recall. James can go off lead but since I walk them together, Bill goes mad if James is running free. Atleast this way they get a bit of a scamper about and not just walking...we have a couple of places where we can let them off together for a short time but once Bill gets distracted, he's off and the risk of being run over etc is greater.

When you own beagles, you are kind of "caught between the devil and the deep blue sea"...their instincts take over from their training and I'm just lucky that James has good recall but the little fella is much like my old beagle Parker and just can't be trusted not to get on a scent..
I to have the same problem with young terriers who have no recall, extended leads are great for them but i dont particularly like them, some insurance company will not insure the use of them because some years ago a lady let it spin back and take her finger nail off and she tried to sue, so make sure your covered with those leads. I also many years ago had a beautiful Beagle called Sophie and she had no recall all her life, she ran off one day and to this day we dont know what happened to her. It was very distressing and very very sad many days and months of searching and wondering.

Hope your all fully recovered now from an awful event.

I to have the same problem with young terriers who have no recall, extended leads are great for them but i dont particularly like them, some insurance company will not insure the use of them because some years ago a lady let it spin back and take her finger nail off and she tried to sue, so make sure your covered with those leads. I also many years ago had a beautiful Beagle called Sophie and she had no recall all her life, she ran off one day and to this day we dont know what happened to her. It was very distressing and very very sad many days and months of searching and wondering.

So very sorry about your beagle Sallie...that must have been aweful..... :(

So very sorry about your beagle Sallie...that must have been aweful..... :(
Long time ago now about 30 years. still wonder what happened to her. I watch my terriers like a hawk, my heart is in my mouth if they cock a deafun and run.

walk towards a low wall with two beagle on extending leads!!!!
we did....they jumped the wall (w00t) and fell 12 feet onto barbed wire/brambles and broken glass!!!

I ended up jumping into brambles/barbed wire and broken glass to rescue them (w00t) :clown:

I was shaking like a leaf..when James jumped, he was hanging by his collar until he fell out of it...Little Bill just dropped like a stone!!! his lead helpfully extending freely on the way down.!!

having got them to safety, which was a nightmare, as the brambles were really dense, and removed around forty thorns from James, he has got away with a few small cuts and a puncture wound near his bottom and probably a very sore neck where he hung himself.

Poor Little Bill has got a shredded tummy and has some quite nasty wounds, he has had some antibiotics and a clean up with iodine and they have both had some pain relief.

All we did was walk over to a wall to see what was the other side but helpful people have dropped empty vodka bottles etc over the wall into all the brambles and there was a barbed wire fence too under the brambles.....

we walked home with me muttering under my breath " stupid f***ing woman why did you want to see over the wall!" (w00t) ...

just be warned " curiosity killed the cat and very nearly badly hurt my dogs!!!! "

Sorry! I meant to finish that wall off! lol!! :sweating:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back