The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New and looking for advice...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ColH, Nov 15, 2018.

1. ColH

ColH New Member Registered

Hello All
    I’ve had dogs since I was four-various breeds with various issues. I’ve now been made redundant with very little chance of getting back into paid employment. Though I would love to work with dogs voluntarily I still need to earn something. I am thinking about taking some training in dog training/behaviour but as with everything it is a minefield. I’ve seen IMDT who carry out training local to me but I’m not sure where to start. If anyyhas any advice on courses or companies I would be very grateful. I’m not looking to step on anyone’s toes but do something I enjoy a few days a week. Many thanks.

2. Josie

Josie Administrator Administrator Registered

Hello and welcome,

I know a lady who decided to learn more in behaviour/training because she had a rescue dog with lots of issues and realised it would be more beneficial to learn these skills herself. She's now a qualified and great behaviourist. I believe she used this service...

https://canineprinciples.com

ColH likes this.
  3. Jack-Russell-Lover

Jack-Russell-Lover Well-Known Member Registered

What about dog walking/dog sitting?

4. ColH

ColH New Member Registered

Good call but not what I’m looking for-want more involvement.

5. excuseme

excuseme Well-Known Member Registered

@JoanneF would be a good person to help with advice here !

6. JudyN

JudyN Well-Known Member Registered

I've shamelessly nicked this from one of @JoanneF's posts: 'COAPE (Centre of Applied Pet Ethology) and APBC (the Association of Pet Behavioural Counsellors) are the gold standard for behaviour but not cheap. APDT (the Association of Pet Dog Trainers) for training. There is also the Victoria Stillwell Academy.'

excuseme and ColH like this.
  7. VictorK

VictorK New Member Registered

I hope your search eventually turns up something relevant and within your budget. I realise that you "want more involvement" and that practising training/behaviour is your aim, but I would have thought that dog walking/sitting might a) be a great opportunity to see plenty of behavioural issues and analyse them, b) earn a bit of cash along the way and c) start to build a customer/referral base that would benefit you once the training thing gets going.