The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New Baby And New Skin Condition. Coincidence?

newbiedogowner

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi there,

I'd appreciate some help with regards to my 3.5 year-old Cockapoo. She's been in great health up until our first born 4 months ago. Since then, we've had numerous trips to the vets regarding pustules on her underbelly, and a paw that she constantly licks. She's had a wee booty on to stop her licking it, but she's desperate to when it comes off:( The vet has prescribed her a course of antibiotics and Apequel to stop the itching, but of course, it's only a temporary fix. We've been advised that Cockapoos of her ages are susceptible to developing allergies to things they're used to.

She's been fed a raw diet since we had her as a puppy. It is entirely possible that our food supplier changed their supplier around the time her skin conditions started developing, but we can't be sure.

I've read that around 10% of dog allergies are diet-related. So I'm now wondering whether she's still adjusting to having a baby in the family? Before then, we definitely treated her like our baby. We've been very careful to paye extra attention to her during this time, including keeping her normal routine, and associating her with our wee one.

I don't expect any definitive information, but just wondering how likely having a newborn in the family would be, for her developing these symptoms?

Thanks for any advice in advance

James

Last edited:
Could it be something relating to the baby that she is allergic to, that you didn't use before?

Good thought, Ragsymum.

Trying to wrack my brains as to she may have come in contact with to do with our wee one!

Can she generally be sensitive, or a bit of a stresshead, and does she seem more stressed, or different in any way, since your baby came along? Are you using any different cleaning products, washing her bedding more often, or walking in different places? Has she ever shown the slightest sign of allergy before?

Could you ask your raw food supplier if they've changed their sources or ingredients? You could try sticking to one protein source for a while, seeing if she improves, and gradually introducing new proteins... but not at the same time as she's having the vet's treatment, obviously.

You could also ask your vet about allergy testing.

The only real sign of stress she's shown is she'll occasionally wail if our son is crying before we feed him. Although she seemed quite depressed when our son first arrived

We've been very careful to stick to her routine, and until 3 weeks ago when we was exhibiting these skin complaints, she going on her normal walks with her doggy pals during the week.

Has she ever shown the slightest sign of allergy before?

Yes when we was a young puppy she had a very brief skin complaint that she was given steroids for, but nothing in the last 3 years, until now.

Could you ask your raw food supplier if they've changed their sources or ingredients?

I think they _may_ have changed supplier themselves a few weeks after our wee one was born, so it may very well be that. I guess at this stage it's just ruling things out, eh? We've had her pretty much on chicken, tripe and offal for the last few months, but we've deliberately gone with just lamb for the next month or so to see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:
My lot;) are intolerant to chicken and now have beef and tripe or game and tripe

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back