The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New Dog, Some Questions!

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
So Rusty had Platinum dry food for breakfast, brought it up almost immediately after finishing it :( Tried him on some Platinum wet, that's stayed down, so far, for a few hours. The Platinum order come with some chewy stick things too, gave him one of those (yesterday, I think) and again, he was sick straight after. Mrs. ARH has guessed it might be something to do with wheat in the food, but it's exactly that, a guess. He is able to eat a couple of dog biscuits and keep those down. He has a slow feeder bowl, but it's not a very compex one, so perhaps eating quickly is part of the problem. With that said, he didn't seem to eat the dry food that quickly to me.

My plan for now is to carry on with the wet Platinum food (will need to order more! :mad:) and see how he gets on. We might try the dry food in a month or so. I also might try the Honey's raw food too, but I don't want to put all this in front of him too soon and upset him further.

Open to suggestions, comments or ideas!

P.S. The ferret thing above. Oh dear! :D:eek::oops:

I'd definitely stick to one food at a time for now rather than trying a lot of different things, and try to exclude anything you're unsure of, such as wheat.

I wouldn't rule out some digestive issue though, so if things don't settle soon a vet visit would make sense - they might want to check his stools for any infection. Though they may also try to flog you some kibble for sensitive tums (which isn't to say it's not worth a try in due course).

Maybe break the Platinum in slowly by feeding it as rewards?

I'd say the same, he's had a lot going on for sure. I'm a big fan of boiled pots and white fish as it's light and easy to digest, maybe see if he keeps that down for a few days and slowly add the Platinum in and see how he goes. I'd also try smaller meals, say 4 small ones rather than 2 usual size.. if the throwing up does continue though no harm checking in with the vet just in case.

The nipples thing made me chuckle and reminded me that some people have been known to blow raspberries on their boy ferrets 'belly button'... it is absolutely not their belly button!:rolleyes::D:D:D:D
It took me a moment to work this out. Do the ferrets like it?

Thanks all for the helpful replies :) Bit of an update - yesterday he ate the Platinum wet dog food (plus a couple of doggie biscuits). Last night, his poo was much firmer and held a shape. His first poo this morning was hard, he had a little poo later on on the same walk, a couple of very small, soft poos. Overall, a good result, we'll see how things progress.

It took me a moment to work this out. Do the ferrets like it?

:DI'm sure some do, once they get over the initial shock!!:D:D:D Not sure if the owners get over the shock as quick though once they realize!:eek::D:D:D:D

I've a bit of pet insurance research this morning, got some online quotes (which I'll need to follow up with phone calls). I found this article which seems informative/credible - does anyone have any views? Thank you :)

Oh, and food - he's still on wet Platinum, which seems to be going well. Yesterday, I gave him four pieces of the kibble 2 pieces at a time, about 2 hours apart as treats, and he was sick after the second lot, so it looks as though we'll be sticking to the wet food. He seems to like it, which is the main thing!

Just a couple of thoughts, which are just observations really.

A few of these providers have their policies underwritten by the same company.

We are with Tesco, they paid directly to our vet when T had his cruciate ligament treatment.

What a pity about the Platinum. I wonder if it is too rich for him. How is he settling in apart from that?

Thanks @JoanneF. Yes, I'd noticed that. I really need to read up in some detail, but I'm a bit tired, as you'll see...

Yes, it's weird about the Platinum. The wet food seems to be going well. He had a couple of other treats recently, too, and that seemed to make his poo soft so perhaps he just has a sensitive gut.

He has settled in really well, thanks. He does like sleeping on our bed though and can be a bit of a fidget! To be honest, I don't really mind this, Jimmy used to do it (but not all night) and I do enjoy the cosiness of it all, even if it's a bit warm at the moment. This morning, he was up at just after 05.00, so I opted to take him for a walk then, it's only about 45 minutes earlier than normal. What a hike we had! He just seemed to want to walk and walk and walk! I need to start some training around getting him to understand he needs to go where I want sometimes, where he'll want to go down a particular road, and I don't want to. For example, we have a couple of cul-de-sacs near us and he likes going into them, walking the perimeter and then just looking around at things whilst I look like a total lemon! :D

He is fine with other dogs out and about, people too, although he is wary of people in our house (dogs he's OK with). My son and his wife visited yesterday which resulted in some growling and barking, but I think this was a fear thing, as we went into the back garden he mellowed but would hide behind me if he was approached by them.

All in all, he is doing really well which is great after his earlier life and journey to us. He is very affectionate, loves cuddles and playing, so we're enjoying all that at the moment :).

likes going into them, walking the perimeter and then just looking around at things

Don't forget though, being able to do that is important for him. For one thing, it helps him process his new environment and for another, letting him choose where he goes helps with confidence building.

Don't forget though, being able to do that is important for him. For one thing, it helps him process his new environment and for another, letting him choose where he goes helps with confidence building.
Agreed. He's getting plenty of opportunities for exploring! :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back