The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New dog won't eat

Eleanorld

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
So my family have recently adopted a beautiful 2yr old spaniel and we've called her Isla. We didn't get her from a shelter, we actually found an ad for her online because her original family were moving and couldn't take her with them. She has been good as gold, loves her toys, walks and is such a daddy's girl!

She drinks plenty of water throughout the day, but we just cannot get her to eat a meal. She'll eat treats when we're on walks (for training recall etc.) - she doesn't get lots maybe 5-10 nail-sized pieces a day. We've had to give her flea/worm pills wrapped in chicken/ham/peanut butter so no issues there.

Her original family gave us the bag of dry food she would normally eat, but when we got home she wouldn't eat it, so we've bought some different kinds of dry and nope she won't eat that either, we bought some tins of Pedigree wet food and she won't eat that either. The only time we can get her to eat it is literally piece by piece hand fed. I've tried drizzling peanut butter on it - nope. Mixing in some treats - nope. I read somewhere to maybe try getting her to eat the same time as us and nope she didn't eat a thing.

We're still getting used to her cues/body language but it really looks as if she's scared of the food. We've tried putting it in a bowl, on a plate, on a mat (i.e. slow feeder) or plain on the floor - and it legit looks like she's terrified of the food. We don't mind hand feeding her if that's what we have to do for a while but we just don't want her to think that's going to be forever!

Any advice or ideas would be great, thanks

Good idea to hand feed for the moment. Are you able to get in touch with her previous owners?

First thoughts from me are: pain in the mouth, pain that stops her reaching down comfortably so a raised bowl may help while you sort that out, something about the food bowl that frightens her e.g. is it shiny, clattery, something about the place you put the bowl which makes her nervous, so try moving it - I understand that you have already tried some of that. Others I'm sure will have other suggestions.

Good idea to hand feed for the moment. Are you able to get in touch with her previous owners?

First thoughts from me are: pain in the mouth, pain that stops her reaching down comfortably so a raised bowl may help while you sort that out, something about the food bowl that frightens her e.g. is it shiny, clattery, something about the place you put the bowl which makes her nervous, so try moving it. Others I'm sure will have other suggestions.
Yes we still send updates with her last owners but they said she was a really fast eater, which is why they gave us a slow feed mat. The bowls/plates we have are just plain pottery bowls so nothing shiny or loud.

We've taken her the vets to do a whole check up and the vet didn't see anything wrong with her mouth/teeth and she chews her treats just fine.

We've tried putting her food in the kitchen (by her water) but thought maybe it was a bit loud in there, so we moved it to the quieter living room but she's not interested.. I'm thinking maybe the next idea would be out in the garden?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back