The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New dog

shazrus

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, just recently got a year old female JR.
She will not pee and poo in the garden.
She will do it on the carpet. When we go for a walk all she does is a dribble here and there. Any body else have the same problem.

Hi and welcome - what do you know of her previous life? Was she housetrained in her previous home? How do you react when she does toilet in the house, and what do you clean it up with? Also, is she spayed and if so, how long ago?

If you haven't done so, it would be worth getting a vet check just in case she has a urinary infection or similar.

We have some advice on housetraining here that might help: House training It's geared up for puppies, but the same applies to adult dogs.

Hi Was told she was house trained, although he said due to being out at work all day she and her daughter lived in the garden all day. I just tell her naughty and wash with disinfectant. She has nit been spayed yet and I a vet appt next week. I will look at the house training. Thank you.

Please don't tell her naughty - you will see in the toilet training guide why scolding her can do more harm than good.

Thank you. I realised that when I read it. I have had dogs before and been very lucky with them. This is a new problem for me.

If she lived in the garden most of the time she may never have had to develop bladder or bowel control. So treating her like a puppy is probably the best approach.

Do let us know how you get on.

I'd suggest as well that you get some cheap carpet squares and put them in the garden near the door. Take dog out on lead and let her sniff around at leisure until she chooses a place and pees. This will take time as she won't want to at first if she has been scolded for peeing indoors. You can lead her right up to the squares but don't encourage her with speech as this can put pressure on. When she pees, even if only a dribble, give her a treat and speak in a soft praising sort of voice. Walk her round the garden and give her more chances to pee. Take her indoors, count to five, straight out again and see if she will oblige again. Before long you can start removing the outside carpet pieces until you are down to one, then once she is reliable outside you can remove the one left. This does not encourage her to pee on carpet everywhere - it simply tells her outside is better because you get treats.
Good for you for coming here for help instead of just thinking she's a nuisance. You WILL be able to improve this.

I'd suggest as well that you get some cheap carpet squares and put them in the garden near the door. Take dog out on lead and let her sniff around at leisure until she chooses a place and pees. This will take time as she won't want to at first if she has been scolded for peeing indoors. You can lead her right up to the squares but don't encourage her with speech as this can put pressure on. When she pees, even if only a dribble, give her a treat and speak in a soft praising sort of voice. Walk her round the garden and give her more chances to pee. Take her indoors, count to five, straight out again and see if she will oblige again. Before long you can start removing the outside carpet pieces until you are down to one, then once she is reliable outside you can remove the one left. This does not encourage her to pee on carpet everywhere - it simply tells her outside is better because you get treats.
Good for you for coming here for help instead of just thinking she's a nuisance. You WILL be able to improve this.

Thank you. I will try. She will never be a nuisance. It probably does not help that she is coming into season. I have never experienced a dig in season. All my other dogs were spayed.

A lot of otherwise healthy bitches have minor urinary issues just before and during a season - and a lot don't. Most need to pee more often. This could be why she is only peeing a few dribbles at a time, which, if she were out, would alert roaming male dogs to what is about to happen. Or she could have a urinary infection.
Many bitches will come into season after an extreme trauma event - it's all about Nature wanting to give them every chance to breed.

A lot of otherwise healthy bitches have minor urinary issues just before and during a season - and a lot don't. Most need to pee more often. This could be why she is only peeing a few dribbles at a time, which, if she were out, would alert roaming male dogs to what is about to happen. Or she could have a urinary infection.
Many bitches will come into season after an extreme trauma event - it's all about Nature wanting to give them every chance to breed.
Thank you.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back