The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New Member Needing Wisdom

Discussion in 'Dog Health' started by Macbeth, Oct 9, 2018.

  1. Macbeth

    Macbeth New Member Registered

    Messages:
    16
    Likes Received:
    10
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Hi Everyone

    Our little 9 year old Yorkie partially tore her Crutiate Ligament. We decided on a conservative treatment plan, physio, metacam, grain free diet, high protein and restricted exercise. She tore it in August and although it hadn’t gotten worse it hadn’t really improved either so we were just continuing with the treatment plan and soon to begin Hydrotherapy. Just to set the picture, Belle is crazy, she is full of energy and totally crazy about tennis balls. We walk a hour each morning which equates to 2 hours for her and her tennis ball retrieving, we then do 45 minutes in the evening. Even on 3.5 legs she still wanted her ball in her mouth and not impressed with the whole restricted plan.

    Just in the last week she literally went down hill and fast, spasms, total loss of coordination, spaced out, walking in lopsided circles and not herself. The vet went through what it could be but decided against everything he mentioned. We have an appointment with a Nerologist on Thursday. She showed no pain in the spine or neck and her ears looked ok. He did say her heart rate was a little slow but nothing too worrying. Normally when she is at the vets it’s a bit racy.

    I wonder could it be the Metacam, it’s the only consistent since August. She is on the correct dose but reading through the side effects some match her symptoms. Has anyone else had the same after 2 months use? I should say she is eating (hand fed), drinking, pooping and peeing ok.

    Thanks for any insight.
     
  2. Josie

    Josie Administrator Administrator Registered

    Messages:
    3,026
    Likes Received:
    2,929
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Hi @Macbeth - sounds like your girl has been through the wars and sorry to hear she has gone down hill again.

    I’ve recently done a dog first aid course and the lady there said metacam is/can be poisonous for dogs. I am guessing this is in long use.

    How much is she having a day?

    My boy has recently been on it and at 35kg he was having 35ml a day for one week only. I’m guessing having that amount for two months could be damaging but I’m no expert. Have you mentioned this to your vet?
     
  3. Macbeth

    Macbeth New Member Registered

    Messages:
    16
    Likes Received:
    10
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Hi Josie

    Thank you for responding.

    They do say it is a severe drug. She is on 0.5ml as she is only 5.5kg, so her dosage is correct. We have been making sure she has it on a full stomach and her tummy (touch wood) has been fine. I’m just wondering if it’s been building up in her system and now she is reacting. When she first tore the crutiate I was only giving her a dose every second day but the vet in September said to put her on it every day. I’m probably just clutching at straws. I have heard some of the horror stories about Metacam but I suppose it’s like our medicines some people react and some don’t. It just jumped into my head after her dose this evening. I plan on mentioning it with the Neurologist and I’ll keep her off it until then.

    I’m just hoping it’s something viral that clears up and soon.

    I will keep you posted.

    Xxxx
     
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    leashedForLife likes this.
  4. Josie

    Josie Administrator Administrator Registered

    Messages:
    3,026
    Likes Received:
    2,929
    Trophy Points:
    113
    That seems quite a high dose to take every day for 2 months (relative to her size) but If the vet said it was ok? Maybe you could ring them and ask before stopping her completely?

    Please do let us know how it goes x
     
  5. Macbeth

    Macbeth New Member Registered

    Messages:
    16
    Likes Received:
    10
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Thank you for responding, it turns out our Belle more than likely had a brain tumour. The Neurologist said we would know for definite during the week once the report was finalised but in his opionion of the MRI it’s a tumour. Due to its location surgery is out of the question. Radiation would be an option but he wouldn’t recommend it. She is starting steroids tomorrow, to be re-assessed in 7 days. We were warned that the steroids have a 50/50 chance of helping for a while at least.

    We are just totally in shock. Our little firecracker, crazy tennis ball loving lunatic went from herself to a shell in a week. It’s gone from a partial torn crutiate ligament to this. We can’t believe it!!

    Anyway thanks to those who responded xxx
     
  6. JudyN

    JudyN Well-Known Member Registered

    Messages:
    2,357
    Likes Received:
    3,404
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Oh, I'm so sorry :( I'll keep my fingers crossed for a happy outcome, even if it does seem against the odds.
     
    Macbeth likes this.
  7. Josie

    Josie Administrator Administrator Registered

    Messages:
    3,026
    Likes Received:
    2,929
    Trophy Points:
    113
    So sorry to hear this @Macbeth :-(

    Really breaks my heart hearing these stories. Our dogs are our family.

    Like JudyN - fingers crossed for you and vent out to us all whenever you like x
     
    Macbeth likes this.
  8. arealhuman

    arealhuman Well-Known Member Registered

    Messages:
    1,947
    Likes Received:
    1,827
    Trophy Points:
    113
    That's awful news, sorry to hear it :( I do hope the medication can bring some relief.
     
    Macbeth likes this.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.