The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

taffy 2020

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone.
Just joined today hoping for some advice regarding my rescue Greyhound.
He is 7 years old and I adopted him 2 years ago.
Soon after adopting him he was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and is on medication, Thyforon tablets. Recently he has become very lethargic, very quiet about the house, appears to be lacking energy, not walking as far as he used to, sometimes stopping for a few minutes before continuing, and panting after a very short time walking. He has had various tests done by vet who can find nothing wrong, and I wondered about the possibility of it being connected to his medication. He is going for his 6 monthly blood test next week, which monitors his thyroid levels. I was wondering if anyone else has a dog with similar condition?
Thanks for reading.

Welcome to the forum - though I'm sorry your greyhound isn't well. I've no knowledge of hypothyroidism, but believe Jean Dodds is the expert on interpreting thyroid tests in dogs. Greyhounds tend to have a different thyroid profile to other dogs, and I'm not sure all vets are aware of this.

You can find details for Jean Dodds here: Thyroid Testing | Hemopet Although she's in the US, she might be able to advise you on what blood checks should be done, and interpret the results.

I second that info, both regarding the importance of the different thyroid profile for greyhounds and many of their close relatives, and that Dr. Jean Dodds is the absolute guru for thyroid issues in dogs and people.

His blood test should show whether his medication needs adjusting or whether his current demeanour has any connection with his medication. My wife, may her name be praised if not feared, is conversant with the same condition as she has to manage it for herself - not that she’s as fast as a greyhound, she’s over 70. Please let us know. We love sighthounds.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back