The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New Puppy - 10 Weeks Old

kikihells

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi All,

I hope you're well.

I've been following the forum for the past couple of months in preparation for bringing our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel home to get a feel for what people are encountering.

We brought Obi home on Friday and so far, so good. He hasn't had an accident thus far, takes himself to his crate on his own accord and sleeps in it through the night with little fuss (with two toilet trips between 10:30pm and 6:30am). We're taking it in turns to sleep with him downstairs currently so that we're not both sleep deprived at the same time as we have two daughters to contend with too (12yo and 9yo) 🙂

He's only 10 weeks old and only his 3rd night with us but just a couple of things I would like some input on please.

• When he wakes up in the morning at roughly 6am/ 6:30am and has been to the toilet, he goes back into the crate himself but I leave the door open as it's the start of the day but he often goes back to sleep in it anyway - is this OK or confusing for him?

• He has started jumping at the sofa to come up on it today. I'm fine with him being on it in the day to relax if he chooses (if he gets sleepy, I take him to his crate so he is having his naps on there whilst we're crate training) but am keen to not encourage him to jump up to get what he wants. I'm not sure how to tackle that at the moment if anyone has any pointers? I've been distracting him with a toy when he does it but am keen to see if there's anything else we should start implementing with him.

Thank you.

Hello and welcome.

keen to not encourage him to jump up
It's very hard to teach a ”don't do”, just like it is for us - if I said to you, do NOT think of a fire engine, what immediately comes to mind?

So, instead, teach a different behaviour that he can do, one that means he can't jump at the same time. A sit would work. The key, though, is that the different behaviour has to be far more appealing for him than jumping, so make sure the sit is really well rewarded.

It's a delight to hear how you have planned for your puppy and are doing so much for him.

Whatever you teach as his signal for attention, do respond to it every time. For instance, if he comes to you and offers a 'sit' respond by acknowledging and acting, rather than expecting him to wait a minute. He doesn't know it'll only be for a minute and might resort to behaviour you don't want e.g. barking, pawing or mouthing. I'm not saying this for you because you sound pretty switched on, but the family needs to be on board with this also. Much of training involves avoiding inadvertently training those responses you would rather avoid.

We love puppy photos......

Sorry, I just realised I didn't reply to your point about the crate. If he is happy with the door open and you are okay with it, I think it's fine. Far better that, than have him feeling trapped.

A lovely way to use a cage.
I am usually very much against the use of cages but it sounds as if you are doing things in a way that he is very happy with and suits you too. Not caging or restricting his social behavior as a family member has got to be kinder for him than forcefully "trapping" him.

Thank you all for your great advice. 🙂

It's good to have a network of people to call on for guidance and reassurance.

Here is my boy, Obi 😍

Attachments

• IMG-20240719-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20240719-WA0007.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 27

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back