The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New Puppy And Very Long Journey

Rosie

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Well the day is approaching when we collect Skye (Sparkle from the little Gems) :wub: . My thoughts are now on the journey and how to make the best of it. It is nearly 300 miles and with luck will take 5 hours, possibly longer :( . We will be in our little VW camper so will have space for lots of stuff :D .

The thing I am concerned about is her being travel sick as apparently Gem was. Apart from making sure i have plenty of kitchen roll, towels, wet wipes and cuddles :huggles: what else can i do for her if she is poorly? Is there anything a pup can be given to help when she is so young? She'll be 7.5 weeks old. Also should I restrict food and water or may she get dehyrated so should i offer milk/water/any food?

Any other general advice welcome too please :thumbsup:

I had a six hour journey back with Jinny (8.5 weeks old) from Derbyshire to Cornwall last year.

They didn't feed her at lunchtime because she was travelling, but she was still sick :( - although not as much as it could have been :unsure:

The things I learnt from that journey were ......

Make sure that Skye has a wee/poo before she travels, Jinny did it in the car :x

Travel her wrapped up cosily in a blanket on your knee - this lessens the separation anxiety they can all feel

Keep water on hand and offer her some regularly, but not food - best to feed when you arrive home

Make sure you have a cat harness and lead for her. Best and safest way to let her stretch her legs half way through the journey (I was worried about this as Jinny hadn't had her first vac but we found a place where no other dogs had been)

The other things you have already got under control :D Kitchen roll, copious amounts of towels, wet wipes etc. Also a plastic carrier bag to put the rubbish in!!! :thumbsup:

Good luck :luck: :luck:

The journey will go very quickly because you will be so wrapped up with Skye :wub:

Rosie said:
Well the day is approaching when we collect Skye (Sparkle from the little Gems)  :wub: . My thoughts are now on the journey and how to make the best of it.  It is nearly 300 miles and with luck will take 5 hours, possibly longer :( .  We will be in our little VW camper so will have space for lots of stuff  :D .
The thing I am concerned about is her being travel sick as apparently Gem was.  Apart from making sure i have plenty of kitchen roll, towels, wet wipes and cuddles  :huggles:   what else can i do for her if she is poorly?  Is there anything a pup can be given to help when she is so young?  She'll be 7.5 weeks old.  Also should I restrict food and water or may she get dehyrated so should i offer milk/water/any food? 

Any other general advice welcome too please  :thumbsup:

How about getting a DAP collar for her? This has pheromones that are the same as her mother's, which can be comforting. There are homeopathic remedies for car sickness, which might help. Phytopet do Nux Vom Cocculus which can be good - in fact you would be welcome to the rest of the bottle I got for Grace! She was horribly car sick for the first few months I had her, and what worked was taking her for tiny journeys to start with and building it up. In fact you start with spending a few minutes in the stationary car to begin with, giving lots of praise and treats. Obviously you won't be able to go through that sort of process when you are picking your pup up for the first time, but I recommend it if she continues to be car sick. Anyway, let me have your address if you would like the Nux Vom, and good luck!

i took a soft small bed to put them in while on my knee,saves them getting too hot and bothered :thumbsup: also they all slept most of the journey except for finley ,boy did he drool :sweating: and i needed plenty tissues to try keep us both dry :huggles:

All good advice from the other replies on here, but take heart, Skye may not be sick at all. Ruby had a 300 mile journey at 8 weeks and she wasn't sick or drooly. She spent some time on a passengers knee and some time in her crate.

:luck: for a good trip.

Pauline

when we picked ours up we took a creat blankets a clock that ticks and another dog. if you have a dog thats you know will be ok strate away with the pup thats the easts thing to do as pup has company allready. another thing we noticed when we picked up pups that if they started panting or droling they wanted the loo so a few news papper or puppy traning pads come in usefull and even now at nearly 3 years old Indy still comes and pants if she wants the loo while shes in the van. just use your comon since and you will be fine good luck

wendy

Rosie said:
Well the day is approaching when we collect Skye (Sparkle from the little Gems)  :wub: . My thoughts are now on the journey and how to make the best of it.  It is nearly 300 miles and with luck will take 5 hours, possibly longer :( .  We will be in our little VW camper so will have space for lots of stuff  :D .
The thing I am concerned about is her being travel sick as apparently Gem was.  Apart from making sure i have plenty of kitchen roll, towels, wet wipes and cuddles  :huggles:   what else can i do for her if she is poorly?  Is there anything a pup can be given to help when she is so young?  She'll be 7.5 weeks old.  Also should I restrict food and water or may she get dehyrated so should i offer milk/water/any food? 

Any other general advice welcome too please  :thumbsup:

you took the questions right out of my mouth lol, what day are you picking her up, were getting ruby on saturday (w00t)

were stock piling the kitchen roll and wipes as we speak, and lots of old towels and blankets, and practising our best cuddling arms :wub:

good luck to you both with yor new arrivals :huggles:

If you are having Skye on your lap I would recommend a spare pair of trousers!!

Misty was so sick we used up all our towels, blankets and kitchen roll and I eventually arrived home in just my knickers :b

When I picked Venice up I took all the towels etc that everyone recommended but also took Fleur and Amie and a puppy crate. Intended travelling the puppy on my lap but her breeder suggested that i put her straight in the crate and ignore any crying. I thought it a bit hard hearted at the time but did as she suggested. As Venice was really tired from playing with her before we left her breeders she only cried for 10mins or so before snuggling down and sleeping all the 5hours home except for a short wee break. All my fears were unfounded re being sick etc.

Good luck. Enjoy those puppy days.

Debbie

Hi Kate,

Cant believe the day has almost come to pick up little Skye :huggles:

Bet you are really looking forward to it.

When I brought Kobi down from Falkirk...he was extremely car sick...

we broke up the journey a couple of times and let him stretch his legs, have a pee and a smell around...I had a blanket in the car, water ..lots of old towels and cloths..and some plastic bags.

I sat in the back and kept Kobi with me all the way back..snuggling him in... :huggles:

Good luck with your journey, have a long happy life with Skye. :cheers:

Thank you everyone for all the sound advice and best wishes :huggles: . I hope we do get a smooth journey and that she sleeps for most of it but I also like to be prepared for anything so this has been really useful :thumbsup:

Katie, we go and get her on Sunday but are leaving here Friday to make a weekend of it again :))

:luck: with your journey too, it seems like we've been waiting for ages and now the day is nearly here, life will never be the same again :p

Great advice that covers everything.

I had jinxs pups out in the car most weeks a couple of times and it made all the difference to them going to new owners. I moped up the drool and sick. :x

Just remember the cameras girls :thumbsup:

suvi said:
If you are having Skye on your lap I would recommend a spare pair of trousers!!
Misty was so sick we used up all our towels, blankets and kitchen roll and I eventually arrived home in just my knickers  :b

:lol: sorry I shouldn't laugh!

When we bought Molly home I sat in the back and had her on my knee some of the time and some of the time in a bed on the seat next to me. She started making puking motions so I (like the caring mummy I am!) quickly put her in the bed - she promptly turned round and puked straight on my trousers :rant: She was only sick twice but she drooled A LOT.

Lenny was fine when we picked him up but he was a bit older at 5 months or so. He sat in the back behind the dog guard with Molly. He didn't puke or drool at all but about a minute or so from our house he had really bad diarrhoea - we subsequently found out that he had worms :angry:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back