The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New puppy but very low weight

Scruff1980

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

We are in the process of owning a puppy but we are concerned that her weight is only 1.34kg at 7 weeks old.
The breeder seems responsible, the pup is KC registered and we have seen the mum and dad.

We understand there could be possible health issues in the future and have paid a deposit. We feel in a very difficult position.

Any advice please

What breed is it? Have you voiced your concerns to the breeder? I've found a puppy weight checker that might help: Find out how big your Shih Tzu puppy will grow - Puppy Weight Estimates But of course, like people, some dogs are simply smaller than others.

In you position I think I'd ask the breeder if I could have an independent vet check. I wouldn't worry too much about losing the deposit if it's not returnable... it will be nothing compared to what any pup, healthy or otherwise, will cost over a lifetime.

Hello @Scruff1980, If you have voiced your concerns with the breeder are you able to make an arrangement that if the health problems continue you can return the puppy?

Have you seen all the correct paper work for the Mum and dad? I definitely agree with @JudyN about getting a vet check. I know a family that got a flat coated retriever and he ended up with awful health problems and in the end caused him an early death. It was their first dog and such a sad experience for them. You definitely don’t want that situation yourselves.

Agree with the others but would add that KC registration is sadly not any guarantee of health as many people think. Even KC registered puppies can carry congenital diseases passed on from parents. Good breeders will test to make sure neither parent is a carrier. You don't say what breed your puppy is but if you can post that information we can let you know what the parents should have been tested for. But if something is telling you that something isn't right, better a short term disappointment than possibly years of pain and vet expenses.

Many thanks for all your replies. Yes sorry I should of mentioned that she is a Labrador pup, so really quite small.
When we first saw her at 3 weeks she could fit in my hand, 4 weeks on and she isn't much bigger.
As far as the breeder goes, she seems respectable and her dogs all look well looked after. She has shown us a long line of pedigree paperwork.

Our pup was 1 of 12 so I don't know if that would effect her weight?

Our pup was 1 of 12 so I don't know if that would effect her weight

Probably. That's a big litter! But that is very, very small. Worryingly small. How is she in relation to her siblings? Similar weight? Is she active and playing? If not I would pass on this litter.

The parents should have been tested for hip and elbow dysplasia; and within the last year for the eye conditions Progressive Retinal Atrophy, Total Retinal Displasia and hereditary cataracts.

Yes all hip scores ect have been checked and all cleared.

As far as the other puppies are concerned, they were all quite small, however the next one up was just under 3kg so still quite a difference between that one and our girl. The breeder mentioned that she was the smallest of the litter and the only one which hasn't grown as quick.

Our pup does seem very happy, she's happy to play,lick and stools are solid. Although we haven't seen it. The breeder does mention she isn't scared to have rough and tumble with the other pups and is the first to dig under the fence.

Well, a good breeder will agree to take a puppy back if there are problems (not necessarily to refund what you paid though) so if you decide to go ahead I would absolutely recommend an independent vet check like @JudyN said. Or wait for another litter, labs are popular dogs and there are plenty breeders.

If your puppy is Kc registered you will be able to get onto the Kennel Club website and find out just exactly what health tests the parents have and what their hip scores are. I doubt that there are many Labradors that have clear hip scores, it would be fantastic if the parents of your puppy were clear.
If your puppy is not yet registered you will need both parents Kc registered names, you will then be able to check them out as individuals. " Kennel Club Health test Finder Results"

As suggested above, an independent health check using your choice of vet would be a very sensible thing.

There is no reason why the smallest puppy in the litter should not grow up into a normal sized and healthy puppy/dog. I would be concerned about any hip and health checks that the parents may or may not have had. I would want to see genuine certificates. Or as I have mentioned check on the Kennel Club website.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back