The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New Puppy..... Keeping Him Outdoors...i Think?

tinker*

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Amber my likkle Lurcher lives indoors (she always has, and gets very cold outside....shes a wimp!!)

on sunday im picking up my new German Shepherd pup, (w00t) all our GSD we have had in the past have lived outside (in my opinion its better for them, and their coat, etc)

"Perry" the pup, has never been indoors, so he should be ok in his new kennel and run, but i didnt want him to feel scared out side , alone, (hes 9 weeks) in his new home.

and obviously Amber would hate to be amber to sleep outside to keep him company, also i dont want him to feel too attached to her also.

so in my head he should live outside asap, and come in the house when we are around, but sleep in his kennel?

im guessing he'll winge for a few nights being away from his litter mates etc.

Am i being cruel keeping him outside and her inside??? :unsure: :(

but again i dont want him to learn the inside life and once hes big, hairy and clumsy but then sent to live outside and wonder why? but i also feel like im banishing him outside as a lil pup!! he will be with us when we are in the house and have loves etc in the house, i just dont want a huge GSD living inside a central heated house locked in a kitchen etc. so the plan is he will sleep in his kennel, and him and Amber will be outside when we are out in the day.

HELP!! :eek: :blink: Does that sound OK?

Sounds OK to me in principle! It will be a shame that he will be on his own at night and whilst he is a baby but I can see where you are coming from. I would never dream of having my Whippets outside, even during the day, but when we had Cockers and English Springers, the Cockers were indoors but the ESS always lived outside and so did my Borzoi until he was an old dog.

My GSDs live outside and the whippets are indoors but the GSDs have always had company - firstly my collie, Fizz, and then each other after Fizz died last year.

I wouldn't be happy leaving a young pup outside on it's own - but it would also be wrong to expect Amber to go outside! What a dilemma :blink:

Can you get two GSD pups???? :- "

If you lived nearer you'd be welcome to borrow one of my GSDs until Perry was adjusted - they are both excellent nannies :thumbsup:

I KNOW!! Im just not sure what to do for the best!!

im thinking that he maybe should sleep inside (in his cage) in the kitchen so he can see Amber and get used to his new surroundings and know hes safe etc.

and then introduce the kennel slowly?? (ive also been looking at the new puppy comforters, that is a cuddle dog, with heta pad and ticker :- " ) but im not sure if thats best, cos he mighty start crying more for amber! :blink: eeekkkkk

do you think that sounds better? Everyone i speak to has a different view. :unsure:

It would probably be harder for him to go outside once he was used to being indoors - and they can yell louder when they're bigger :oops:

At least if he is warm and has familiar smells around him and maybe a quiet radio, or cd of you talking, to keep him company then he will ultimately settle down. And being a small pup he will tire from crying quickly and sleep, with any luck :thumbsup:

pheww ...... :)

its werid i sort of know whats best but keep complicating things in my head of new ideas!!

kennel from the start it is, with nice smells, hot water bottle n a soothing comforting noise -_- -_- -_- -_-

tinker* said:
pheww ......  :)
its werid i sort of know whats best but keep complicating things in my head of new ideas!!

kennel from the start it is, with nice smells, hot water bottle n a soothing comforting noise -_-   -_-   -_-   -_-

I envision you and new pup out in the kennel all snuggled in, Amber in the house in your spot on the bed.

He'll likely fuss a bit no matter where he is. I agree with starting him where you want him to end up and put up with the whinging only once.

Louanne

aww what a shame u cudn't just get two!! good luck with the new pup and we want piccies lol!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back