The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New puppy with older dog

Charlotte12

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Advice needed...
I have recently introduced a new puppy into my home and my older dog. For the main part it’s been ok and we are only a few days in but there has been snapping from the older dog towards the puppy when she gets to close to him. I’ve done research and am told this is normal but is there any advice for getting both dogs used to each other?

Is the pup pestering the older dog, repeatedly trying to play? Can you tell when the older dog would rather be left alone? The key is to step in and remove the pup before the older dog feels the need to read the riot act. Watch out particularly for signs of stress such as rolling her eyes, looking away, licking her lips and putting her ears back.

Is the pup pestering the older dog, repeatedly trying to play? Can you tell when the older dog would rather be left alone? The key is to step in and remove the pup before the older dog feels the need to read the riot act. Watch out particularly for signs of stress such as rolling her eyes, looking away, licking her lips and putting her ears back.

At times the puppy is trying to play and is pestering so we have tried to distract the puppy but other times it’s a little like the older dog is just grumpy and yet the older dog will allow the puppy to come close and even follow her at times so I don’t know what to do for the best. I will try and watch out more for signs of him getting irritated.

Maybe your older dog is feeling a little pushed to one side and resents the new upstart.

I would suggest that you always make a big fuss of the older dog before you fuss the puppy, the older dog must always be made to feel just as important as she has always been and as mentioned by @JudyN to remove the puppy before you get a reaction from the old dog. I personally would not tell the older dog off, but just quietly remove the puppy. If the old dog allows the puppy to follow her I would praise her and give a gentle stroke with a kind word. (no need to fuss the puppy though)
Your old dog will probably need lot's of reassurance from you that she is still the best, and you must show it to her, even when you want to cuddle your new puppy, don't forget the oldie too.

Maybe your older dog is feeling a little pushed to one side and resents the new upstart.

I would suggest that you always make a big fuss of the older dog before you fuss the puppy, the older dog must always be made to feel just as important as she has always been and as mentioned by @JudyN to remove the puppy before you get a reaction from the old dog. I personally would not tell the older dog off, but just quietly remove the puppy. If the old dog allows the puppy to follow her I would praise her and give a gentle stroke with a kind word. (no need to fuss the puppy though)
Your old dog will probably need lot's of reassurance from you that she is still the best, and you must show it to her, even when you want to cuddle your new puppy, don't forget the oldie too.

Thank you for the advice, I have tried to make fuss of them both but maybe it needs to be more in the older dogs favour right now

Thank you for the advice, I have tried to make fuss of them both but maybe it needs to be more in the older dogs favour right now
Oh indeed...the older one will have now bigger 'need'...pup will naturally be the attention seeker, but it ain't none wiser for it.
Also, your older one has used to having his own time so having young one around him will tire him out not only physically but mentally too. Giving him plenty of his own time without puppy is very important, he will slowly 'climatize' to the changed pace of life and eventually when the pup gets older and start settling in and calming down, they will hopefully find their happy balance how to live together.
If you have part of the house which can be entirely puppy free area for your older one to retreat for a peace and quiet time, that would be most helpful. Don't force the puppy's company for the older one...let them get used to each other in their own terms under your supervision. Don't rely your older dog to play and 'mother' the pup, it doesn't always happen that way...you are the 'surrogate mum' and have to do all the playing and looking after work. If you are lucky and the older one feels like being big sister/brother....it may eventually happen but that relationship will take time to develop.

I like to sit on a night with the old faithfuls sat at my side on the sofa and have the pup on my knee. That way they are all close together and close to me with a reassuring hand on the old faithfuls. 9 times out of 10 the pup will wriggle off and snuggle up to one of the dogs. It's just letting them bond together in a calm way. Its worked for me over the years,it shows them that we are all still a team but with a new member.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back