The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New Puppy

debbsi

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

My Bailey became a daddy just over 2 weeks ago to 5 gorgeous little whuppies.

We are going to have one of them - already named Rueben - and our friends (the owner of the dam) are also to keep one and the others are to go to new homes.

Anyway my point is - I am a bit worried about at what time to bring the pup home - Bailey is fully vaccinated but we have a rather old cat who is not - can she pass anything on to the pup - should we wait to collect him until he is fully vaccinated?? Our friends are happy to look after Rueben as long as we want.

Regards

Deb x

for me the view that a pup should leave mum at no earlier than 8 weeks seems important not only because of quarantine but more about the mum teaching pups some manners. also, I believe it's the law they can't go earlier?

when you already have dog/dogs in the house, who are vaccinated themselves, they (and you) still go in and out, unless you keep the pup in complete isolation away from adult dogs, technically pup can still pick something up. but a normal, healthy puppy, who has received immunity from his mum, won't, unless there is a massive outbreak of an infection/virus in the area.

doesn't really answer about the cat - don't know much about them :b but I'd imagine the same would apply to a cat, if he is healthy.

Hi

We wouldnt take him until at very least 8 weeks then he would have had his 1st injections - but wondering wether to wait until he is 12 weeks and able to go out.

Bailey is due his injections this week so I will ask the vet

Thanks x

Deb

:unsure: it wouldnt hurt to make sure your cat is jabbed up, especially if its a cat that is allowed to roam around freely rather than an indoor cat, and worming too, along with swift removal of poo in any litter tray once the lil guy moves in with you...trust me, its nasty having a pup who likes 'recycling' :x particularly if theyre not fussy about the source :x :x :x and even if your pup isnt that way ahem inclined, all it can take is a little bit of curiosity and then you could end up with a sick puppy :(

im sure there are plenty of people here more able to answer your question :sweating: well, i hope all goes well for you x

One thing to bear in mind is that if he has his first vaccination at your friends vets, he may then have to start completely from scratch again when you bring him home as the type of vaccination may not be the same as your vets use.

I myself would bring him home at 8 weeks and take him for his first vaccination a good few days after you have got him settled in at home. :)

One thing to bear in mind is that if he has his first vaccination at your friends vets, he may then have to start completely from scratch again when you bring him home as the type of vaccination may not be the same as your vets use. I myself would bring him home at 8 weeks and take him for his first vaccination a good few days after you have got him settled in at home. :)
it almost happened to me when I got Eskil, he had his 1st vacc., called my vet to book him in for the 2nd and got told because it's a different brand I'd have to get him revaccinated (well, how healthy can it be to have an extra shot? plus expense and extra time to be spent indoors), luckily I was able to take him to the same vet where the litter had had the first ones done. alternatively, I would have called around to see what other vets use the same brand as the 1st.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back