The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New puppy

Marjory

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
So we have to two bearded collies one is almost 12 she’s a girl and a boy who is 2, we had our girl nurtured at 6 months old, but never got round to getting our boy done, he is now 2yrs. Tonight we are getting a new puppy an Australian miniature labradoodle, a little girl. Vet has advised us to get boy neutered ASAP and puppy at 6 months as puppy could have a phantom season at 4 months and this would cause a lot of problems. Any advice much apptrvoatef

There is plenty of debate about the pros and cons of neutering. Girls have increased risk of a potentially deadly condition called Pyometra with each season. Boys - well, if the girls are both spayed there is no risk of accidental litters. He is physically mature so no risk to growth. It would remove any risk of testicular cancer. But it's up to you as long as he doesn't wander and impregnate another female.

So we have to two bearded collies one is almost 12 she’s a girl and a boy who is 2, we had our girl nurtured at 6 months old, but never got round to getting our boy done, he is now 2yrs. Tonight we are getting a new puppy an Australian miniature labradoodle, a little girl. Vet has advised us to get boy neutered ASAP and puppy at 6 months as puppy could have a phantom season at 4 months and this would cause a lot of problems. Any advice much apptrvoatef

I dont mean to sound rude, but a lot of things COULD happen at 4 mths of age, why the need to rush a spay just incase this or that might happen. there is no reason to rush either getting either done till you have to, the bitch wont have a season before 6 mths of age, and depending on her size and breeding it could be anything from 6/12 mths before you see her in season. get the boy done by all means, but given he is only 2 another 6mths entire will be beneficial for his development, I would get pup, let everyone settle , decide when to have boy done, and them allow the girl to mature a bit before you decide anything.

I agree with the last post! If you get the boy done just before your new puppy might come into season that would be kindest and better for all. Vets obviously give good advice but they often don't consider the mental welfare of animals as much as owners do. This tiny puppy has had a huge shock, leaving her dam and siblings, joining a new family of strangers and not knowing if she will be well treated or even safe. You know she will be but there's no way of telling a puppy. A big operation is just too much too soon. 'Let everyone settle' seems like a no-brainer to me.;)

I dont mean to sound rude, but a lot of things COULD happen at 4 mths of age, why the need to rush a spay just incase this or that might happen. there is no reason to rush either getting either done till you have to, the bitch wont have a season before 6 mths of age, and depending on her size and breeding it could be anything from 6/12 mths before you see her in season. get the boy done by all means, but given he is only 2 another 6mths entire will be beneficial for his development, I would get pup, let everyone settle , decide when to have boy done, and them allow the girl to mature a bit before you decide anything.
I wasn’t going

I agree with you all, I never for one minute wanted to get her spayed until she was at least 6 months or until after her first season. I think I’m going to get Opie done within the next month, I think once he’s used to puppy. We are all getting on just fine beardies are ignoring her and she is a wee bit scared of them. Thanks for your replies much appreciated
FE2EE522-7D8F-4BA6-84E8-B9B0F07EA081.jpeg
E437CE80-585F-42AB-ACC7-F6FD02EDA4DD.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's one beautiful dog family!:rolleyes:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back