The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New puppy

Whinpin

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Good evening everyone,

I am new to the dog forum i have had dogs all my married life but 4 years ago our lab passed away she was 11 years old it really broke my heart and I said that was me done no more dogs for me.

Until now and I get my new puppy on the 19th Dec a whippet. A breed i have never had before. So I am just enjoying at the moment reading all the posts and hoping to pick up some tips before she arrives.

Also our new puppy will but 9 weeks a girl, no name yet and she was born on my birthday good omen i hope.

Welcome - we have several whippet owners on the forum, so you'll be in good company!

Welcome. Whippets are such lovely dogs.

Thank you everyone for you replies.

Rinkydinkydo the whippet was my husband's choice. We have a Jack russel, little man big attitude. Springer hyper never still. My last dog my amazing lab she total believed she was human.

Thank you everyone for you replies.

Rinkydinkydo the whippet was my husband's choice. We have a Jack russel, little man big attitude. Springer hyper never still. My last dog my amazing lab she total believed she was human.

Your husband as got good taste,whippets are great dogs. It's just this year it seems to of gone whippet mad for some reason. I'm just interested in why people seem to be choosing whippets over other breeds.

I wonder if part of it is that people are moving away from all the designer oodles? Is this happening generally, or is it just a feature of this forum?

We’ve always had whippets. We found our first wandering frightened and starving on the country road. She was about six months old. At first I thought someone had lost her but people ‘in the know’ said it was highly likely that travellers had abandoned her. She was lovely and was soon joined by a another rescued pointy face. All settled in well with Basil the cat. They unfortunately have since gone to the pet shop in the sky but we now have Mabel - another rescue. They’re lovely dogs - very gentle and sensitive. I love the fact that they have limited stamina - an amazing sprint and then cream crackered for the rest of the day. Enjoy the new girl.

340C0EEA-2A31-437E-A515-AD8445E01AE5.jpeg

Thank you everyone.

I have a question please if that is ok. We have not got a bed for her yet. We have looked at what feels like hundreds. Does anyone know are the dog calming beds any good? If not can anyone recommend one please. I do not want to wait while she get here because I just will not have time it will be too close to christmas. I would really appreciate any help. :)

Thank you everyone.

I have a question please if that is ok. We have not got a bed for her yet. We have looked at what feels like hundreds. Does anyone know are the dog calming beds any good? If not can anyone recommend one please. I do not want to wait while she get here because I just will not have time it will be too close to christmas. I would really appreciate any help. :)
No, don't waste your money. They are nothing like as deep as the advert would have you believe, you can put a finger on it and touch right through the stuffing to the hard floor.

I bought a memory foam mattress to put in my dog's bed; in hindsight I could have bought a memory foam pillow a lot cheaper, with the advantage of being able to use pillow cases as easy-to-wash covers.

If you get a bed with sides, like the one below, you could go for a cheap bed and put a pillow in, if it has sides the pillow stays in place.

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/pets-at-home-teddy-dog-oval-bed-dark-grey-medium

Edited for typo

Last edited:
Welcome!
Whippets are amazing hounds I have 3 and wouldn't be without them. We're even thinking of adding number 4 next year. Loving and sensitive they are such great companions.
Good luck with your new pup.

Whippets love to dig about in their beds, so I suggest adding a child-sized duvet on top, so yours has something to work with that is easily replaced. A duvet cover makes it easier to keep clean.

A roofed cat bed is also very appealing.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back