The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New puppy

Kate123

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi There,
We have setters, and we're on our 7th now, our current girl is 2 years old. We're getting another setter puppy, so we know the breed very well, but just wanted to ask some advice on sleeping arrangements.
Our latest bitch is a really loving family dog. She never liked sleeping downstairs in the dog room, and barked and barked, so we have allowed her to sleep at the foot of our bed in her dog bed, and everyone has a quiet nights sleep. She's well behaved and it works, she's happy. That's what's most important.
The puppy is due to arrive this week. Now we don't really want both dogs (and especially a puppy) sleeping in our bedroom, but we're unsure if our bitch will be happy sleeping with her new friend back down in the dog room..
I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas about how we can make this new arrangement work? Anything we can pre-empt or introduce to get both sleeping down stairs - it may not be an issue, but fore-warned and fore-armed and all that! Thank you
Kate

How sensible of you to be thinking ahead. You are quite right: your adult bitch is likely to be horrified at suddenly being expected to sleep away from you AND in the presence of a puppy.

I'd say the sensible solution is for one of you to sleep downstairs with the puppy so it has some company and reassurance while it makes the enormous adjustment to leaving all it has ever known. You can split this duty between you. Once pup is settled, which could be really soon or take a while, you can return to normal sleeping arrangements.

Even if your current dog goes all maternal and wants to be with the pup, she will need some time away from it, so maybe pup could be crated and she sleeps in her own bed downstairs, or if you want pup to have the run of the dog room, then adult dog can be in an adjacent space behind a babygate. But it is more likely that she will want to be with you upstairs.

Last edited:
Thank you that’s super helpful. I think I’ll sleep downstairs with the puppy for a bit. We don’t mind that. Sadly I had to spend the last days of one of our dogs on the rug in front of the Aga she was so confused and scared.. thanks very much for that very much appreciated! Wish us luck!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back