The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New (Puzzled and Happy) Dog Owner

Shah

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello!
I am a new dog owner and need advice from all you veteran dog owners.
So I got a dog, (King Shepherd) who was 2 weeks old at the time i got him (I know that is very young but circumstances forced me to adopt him at this little age). I have always wanted a dog for years now and I finally got one.I have raised him ever since by the knowledge i got from here and there. I admit i have not done a very good job as the only commands i have managed to teach him are
  • Sit ( To which he sits for a few seconds and the resumes his jumping around)
  • Come, which he does as long as he's inside the house, outside the house its his choice to come or not,
  • I've taught him to walk correctly in a leash beside me not ahead of me,
  • Fetch (Which he does sometimes and doesnt give me the ball back unless he's close by and i take the ball from him)
  • and No, which works fine as long as i say it in an angry voice inside the house, outside i have to triple the intensity and repeat many times for him to even listen to me.
I need help i want him to be a good and loyal companion not the overexcited dog he has become. I still love him to bits but I am out of options now and need help from people who know how to handle a dog.
He is now 5 months and 11 days old.
I NEED HELP PLEASE

What do you want him to do? this post is confusing...

I want him to be calm and a good dog, who follows commands like other people's dogs do. Mine doesn't. I hope that clears it up. If you want to ask any questions please ask to make it clear

First, he is only a puppy so I'm afraid you may have some time before he becomes calm and sensible. When he does something you like, let him know by praising and rewarding him. When he does something you don't like, just ignore it. To a dog, even a scolding is attention so don't give him that; just move on. If you want to stop him doing something, ask for an alternative incompatible behaviour - for example if he is jumping up, ask for a sit. He can't do both so he will do the one he gets rewarded for. Look at Kikopup on YouTube for specific training techniques.

Edited to add, can you find a good, reward based training class near you? Are you in the UK? If you say roughly where we may be able to suggest somewhere.

First, he is only a puppy so I'm afraid you may have some time before he becomes calm and sensible. When he does something you like, let him know by praising and rewarding him. When he does something you don't like, just ignore it. To a dog, even a scolding is attention so don't give him that; just move on. If you want to stop him doing something, ask for an alternative incompatible behaviour - for example if he is jumping up, ask for a sit. He can't do both so he will do the one he gets rewarded for. Look at Kikopup on YouTube for specific training techniques.

Edited to add, can you find a good, reward based training class near you? Are you in the UK? If you say roughly where we may be able to suggest somewhere.
Thank you so much for the the advice. That really helps. I will do that for now and about the training class I will think about it because I want to train my dog myself to achieve a bond with him and learn and spend as much time as I can with him.

about the training class I will think about it because I want to train my dog myself to achieve a bond with him and learn and spend as much time as I can with him

Do join one if you can - it will not train your dog for you but rather train you techniques for training your dog so you will still be training him and bonding with him. Please choose one that uses reward based methods though.

Do join one if you can - it will not train your dog for you but rather train you techniques for training your dog so you will still be training him and bonding with him. Please choose one that uses reward based methods though.
I have a friend who's uncle is a brigadier in the army, and he says he can take him in for 1 or 3 months in to train him like they train their own for the special forces (SAS) and I'm thinking would that be a good idea?

I wouldn't do that if it was me. You said yourself it is about bonding with your dog, and actually the training together will benefit you as much as your dog because it shows you the best ways of training him.

I wouldn't do that if it was me. You said yourself it is about bonding with your dog, and actually the training together will benefit you as much as your dog because it shows you the best ways of training him.
Thank you sir for your advice id do as you suggested then

Aha Fetch with a GSD. A friend of mine has one and she takes 3 balls. He wont give a ball but he will swap! She has a thrower so she doesnt have to bend down to pick up the slobbery ball he drops to pick up the one she just threw. The third is for when he has 2 tennis balls in his mouth and wont give either of them back :D
He is one of those dogs that is in love with tennis balls.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back