The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New / puzzling behaviour.

Jjohnd

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Since we have had Brooke - ( Lab rescue dog), she has gradually changed her habits. She is a very happy and lovely family dog. Her latest is that when she is trying to get your attention she sometimes gives off a quiet growl/moan.
There is no aggression with it but I wonder if anybody on the forum has experienced it and pass comment.
Thank you.

My only suggestion is its her trying to 'talk' to you. My Whippet often looks at me then makes a soft roo ing noise, again I assume she is 'talking'.

Jasper has a whole range of vocal expressions, which often sound quite human. I think this is a sighthound trait, but I reckon the more you listen to and respond to dogs, the more ways they'll find to tell you their opinions.

All dogs have there sign, we just need to pick up on it, my whippet x had some voices and all was with a soft happy face , most I think was I’m happy, well that’s what I like to think .

Jasper has a sharp bark to summon us, e.g. to let him out/in, to put a greasy baking tray on the floor for him (he only steals if it's something he knows he's not allowed) or even - as of last week - to turn the baking tray round so he can lick it from the other side.... I did train him to bark to be let out into the garden though.

He will bark if there's someone suspect coming to the door, but he never barks without good reason.

My favourite noise is when he realises he can't have what he wants, e.g. if he wants to play when I need to work, and he lets out a world-weary sigh as he throws himself on his bed. Or the frustration/can't work out what to do to get thr treat sharp outbreath through the nose. It's hard to describe these noises but it's striking that they are exactly the same as we'd make in the same circumstances.

"It's hard to describe these noises but it's striking that they are exactly the same as we'd make in the same circumstances. "
Yes...there is the different kind of sighs (happy, bored, sad..)...sniffs...huffs & puffs.. frustrated whines when they can't get their own way.. rumbles, exited yaps, 'come one..hurry up' whimpers...etc etc :D
I've often wondered how much influence we have for their behaviour with making noises as there is such a range of different ones they make and I don't recall they use that many amongst their own kind..do they? Our next door's dog is rarely being talked to by their owners and the dog is almost 'tone deaf'...I just cannot get response back when ever I try to talk to it....it is like 'there is nobody home' in its little head :(
Our Eva is smaller one of the two and she makes this really rumbling deep chesty growl when she is seeing some animal in a telly.. sometimes even I can feel that rumble resonating in my body! Both of mine are 'talkers' and bark and growl when 'necessary', but Eva's little body is capable really turn up the volume what ever tone she does. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've often wondered how much influence we have for their behaviour with making noises as there is such a range of different ones they make and I don't recall they use that many amongst their own kind..do they?

I wonder if it's because their relationships are simpler? Thinking of what Jasper normally 'speaks' to us about - food - if he wants food, it could be because it's coming up to mealtimes, or we are eating and he thinks he's in with a chance, or we've finished eating and he knows we should be putting the plates down for him. If another dog has food - well, with him he would just accept it that it's the other dog's food. And if he had the food and another dog approached, his message would be clear and simple, not having to worry about saying something impolite to someone important to him.

And maybe dogs communicate through body language with each other better than they do with us, though of course those of us who actually listen to a dog get pretty good at it.

Only having one dog, of course, I have less opportunity to observe the subtleties of dog-dog conversations, and Jasper has less need to hone his skills. 'Hello, I like you,' 'Bugger off' and 'Watch it kiddo, you're overstepping the mark' pretty well has it covered!

I think you are spot-on about the body-language communication between dogs. It's their first choice in my experience, and of course they understand it better and notice its tiny nuances well before most humans (how often is a strange dog telling you one thing, and the owner quite another?).

Worth keeping in mind also is the superiority of canine hearing. My old stud dog, if challenged by an ill-mannered loose dog, would lean against my leg and I could feel the vibrating of his growl, but not hear it.

Yep, Ive felt the vibration come along the lead when Jasper has been eyeballing another dog, without being able to hear anything. Mind you, I usually get the impression that the other dog can't hear it either.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back