The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New thread, old problem

Sus

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
There have been so many issues with Biddy that this is one that I thought was sorted but has returned with a vengeance. She has scaly scurfy types of skin on her chest and stomach, almost like thin scabs.
I have been to 3 different vets concerning this in the past (all gave differing views from ? fungal, normal skin pigmentation to not sure) I am at a very much better vets practice now but still do not entirely trust them (a bit like GPs really)
That was due to one area on her head, small area to back and to chest
At the time I used duoxo mousse 3 times a week for 3 weeks followed by Douxo shampoo (advised by vet) This seemed to work and everything cleared up
Been a few problems recently, she started with these scab like things then I fractured my toe and had the most cumbersome shoe on and could hardly walk so my sister had Biddy for few days
When she returned they were worse as my sister did not want to stress her more by applying the mousse (she even hates me doing anything like that so I understood)
I am not sure what to do next, a friend recommended hibiscrub a kind of antiseptic which she has always used
My initial thought was to go back to the vets but have been advised by my family and friend pet owners not to. Looking back at the past 14 months visits I have made and the outcomes, I think I agree
Problems I had with concerning her walking seemed to have resolved as all I can do now is hobble up to the near park, I walk that slow so she has no choice but to be in front and when we get there i just sit, let her off her lead and let her sniff everywhere.
I know she does not like it but seems to accept it. She does not know it is temporary but I do and cannot wait to let her know that
Because of all the changes happening for her I have been reluctant in applying the mousse as much as I should
I have taken a pic of her skin affected but was on my phone and I have a new laptop so will have to work out how to get it on here (not as savvy with tech as I used to be)
Any advice regarding skin conditions welcomed

So the scabs developed while you were using the mousse & shampoo, but got worse when they weren't used? If it's not distressing Biddy too much, I think I'd start using them again and if things don't get better soon, go back to your most recent vet. Has your new vet done any skin scrapes or similar to try to work out the exact cause?

I wonder if there's any way you can make the process more enjoyable for her, say by using a Lickimat or similar?

I hope your toe mends soon - that must have been sooooo painful, it's bad enough if you just stub a toe!

Thanks JudyN, yes the mousse and shampoo did seem to work last time but it was not near as bad as it is now
I must admit I have not been as careful in checking her skin as I should, she hates being examined or having anything applied and was starting lo be wary of me and looking as if to say 'what is she going to do to me now' so I was tending to leave her alone. She has also got dried tear stains to both eyes but fights me when I try to wipe her eyes every morning
The vet said this was due to pollen and Im wondering if this skin problem is some kind of allergy. It was me who introduced her to fields and woods which she definitely did not like at first, now she loves sniffing around
I will do as you say (have already started using the mousse) and will bathe her on Fri and see if I can get most of it off I use the treats I had from Honeys when I have to do something to her that she does'nt like (she loves them)
If there is no improvement by next week I will return to the vets and mention what you said about skin scrapes

Poor old Biddy :( I don't have anything to offer, sorry, apart from when I was looking at the Skipper's website for fish skins flatties (as recommended on here), I noticed they sell salmon oil for dogs with skin conditions. We bought some as Rusty was itching and scratching like mad when he arrived, but we only managed to use it a few times as moving over to Honey's seemed to sort it, mostly (he does itch his bum a fair amount though). It might be worth mentioning this to the vet to get a view on whether it's worthwhile or not. Don't forget Honey's have a health team too, it might be worth giving them a call although I don't think they're vets.

I hope you find a solution soon.

Thanks arealhuman, I was adding fish oil to her previous food but Honeys said to leave it and maybe give once or twice a week if I thought she needed it. I think I will start adding it twice a week. She also has the skippers flatties, when she feels like it (takes her about 4 days to get through one)
What I find odd is that she does not itch. She very rarely scratches herself so am pleased that it does not seem to irritate her that way at least, but it must be bothering her
I have spoken to staff at Honeys and they are marvelous but think I may be back off to the vets again if this does not clear up.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back