The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New Whippet Owners...

hambone

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello. We just adopted a 7 month old whippet named Hampton. He is the sweetest, loveliest thing ever, but we have a few questions about his diet. We have seen and read that they are much more likely, in some homes, to be on raw diets or BARF diets, but can they thrive on kibble as well? We are looking at feeding a high protein, high quality kibble, so I am wondering if this would be okay as opposed to the raw or barf diets?

Also, how many times a day should they be getting fed? He is about 25lbs., but was a stray before he was brought to the humane society, so we are unsure of his previous eating habits and are in need of some advice. Thank you ahead of time for any of the help you can give. We are really excited to have a home with our Ham. :]

hambone said:
Hello. We just adopted a 7 month old whippet named Hampton. He is the sweetest, loveliest thing ever, but we have a few questions about his diet. We have seen and read that they are much more likely, in some homes, to be on raw diets or BARF diets, but can they thrive on kibble as well? We are looking at feeding a high protein, high quality kibble, so I am wondering if this would be okay as opposed to the raw or barf diets?
Also, how many times a day should they be getting fed? He is about 25lbs., but was a stray before he was brought to the humane society, so we are unsure of his previous eating habits and are in need of some advice. Thank you ahead of time for any of the help you can give. We are really excited to have a home with our Ham. :]

Mine all thrive on good quality kibble but unless you are working him i would avoid high protein food. High protein food for a non working dog can affect behaviour (they end up with too much energy which they don't have the oportunity to burn off)and i have seen problems with this food but within a few days of putting on a standard protein food, the behaviour improving considerably.

i used to feed mine once a day but after talking to the vet we now feed twice a day. just like humans, a dogs blood sugar can fluctuate throughout the day and if fed only once,by the time they get their meal,their blood sugar can drop.

best of luck with your new family member.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whippets Rule said:
hambone said:

Mine all thrive on good quality kibble but unless you are working him i would avoid high protein food. High protein food for a non working dog can affect behaviour (they end up with too much energy which they don't have the oportunity to burn off)and i have seen problems with this food but within a few days of putting on a standard protein food, the behaviour improving considerably.

i used to feed mine once a day but after talking to the vet we now feed twice a day. just like humans, a dogs blood sugar can fluctuate throughout the day and if fed only once,by the time they get their meal,their blood sugar can drop.

best of luck with your new family member.

go into the search at the top of your page youll find plenty of help in there :thumbsup:

Hello and welcome to K9!

Some photos would be lovely..... :- "

We have a 7 and a bit month old whippet, she eats pedigree puppy dry complete food. She has recently gone down to two meals a day, morning and night.

Get on fine with this food, poo fine too!!

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Welcome to k9 :D

I look forward to seeing pictures of your new baby!

My 16 month old girl thrives on raw meat diet, she was on a mixture of complete and barf when I got her, be careful to follow the diet your whippie is on at the moment to start with - change over gradually, mine adores her meat and looks great on it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'd also suggest you avoid high protein food and feed two, maybe even three times a day for now.

As you don't know much about his previous diet if he was mine I'd start him on a wheat free, fish based kibble, something like Skinner's Field and Trial Salmon and Rice, or the Burns or CSJ equivalents. They are very kind to the digestion and hypoallergenic.

HTH

Annie

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back