The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New

Frida&Pedro

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all, I'm Shelley and new to the forum. I have 2 Spanish rescues, Pedro 3 & Frida 7mths.
My problem is Frida who arrived to me in May, over the last 3 or 4 weeks she has started to become very aggressive towards Pedro at mealtimes. I feed them both a raw diet which they're both very happy with but as soon as Frida realises it's mealtime and I'm preparing it she lunges and snarls at Pedro in a very frightening manner, last week she cut him above the eye to which he retaliated and I had a full scale dog fight in my kitchen. I've tried shutting her outside and locking the door but she's just scratching all the paint off trying to get back in, I've tried a muzzle, but she still lunges and tries to bite him, he's such a laid back placid dog he just cowers under the kitchen table then afraid to approach his food when I put it down. HELP!!

Last edited:
Welcome :)

I would prepare their food earlier in the day and then put it in the fridge for later. Then I would either feed her first (with him shut out) and him later (with her shut out - hopefully she won't object as she has now been fed), or feed them at the same time in different places. There's no reason you can't feed her in the garden, if that helps.

If she still complains about being separated, I'd give her a bowl that slows her eating down, so you can give her hers, give Pedro his (in another room), and by the time she's finished, Pedro will have already finished so all the bowls can be lifted and peace return.

Thank you for replying, I can feed them both at the same time that isn't a problem, she will eat hers then sit patiently waiting for him to finish because there's always leftovers for her, it's just when I'm preparing it that she gets aggresive. I defrost their breakfast overnight in a bowl with a lid on then do the same with their evening meal during the day. I'm just at my wits end with it all, mealtimes have started to fill me with dread

Can you have her in the room with you while you prepare the food and shut him out? It might still be worth feeding them separately just so he finds it less stressful - even though you say that they're fine eating together, he could still be worried.

I'm willing to try anything, but want to try and nip it in the bud before it becomes a permanent habit. My daughter adopted one of her brothers and she's meant to be having Frida when I go away in December so wanting to avoid it being a long term issue. I'll try it tomorrow morning as they've already eaten. Thank you.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back