The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Newly blind dog doesn't know when morning is

Archie's mum

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Im new to this site and unsure if im posting in the right place but I was hoping someone may have some experience with our problem.

Our 15yo pup archie has recently gone blind (it's been a couple of months) he is adjusting incredibly well, he's very active, still wants to play constantly and doesn't seem anxious or uncomfortable in any way. There is only one issue we are having and that is him waking in the early hours, often several times. He isn't crying or roaming but is doing the 'happy good morning scruff into the carpet' that I'm sure everyone knows. This has started to impact our sleep significantly and we are struggling quite a bit.

We have been getting up to put him back into bed and telling him it's bedtime, to which he settles down for another few hours before starting again. I can only assume he has no idea if it's getting light outside and just decides it's morning. He gets plenty of exercise- two walks about 40 mins each which is generally enough for him as his is very small (Yorkshire terrier and shitzu mix) and getting a little older. We also are fortunate enough to be home and play with him a lot throughout the day, go out in the garden etc.

Thank you for reading, we are starting to getting pretty sleep deprived and would appreciate any advice! :)

I wonder if taking him for a walk later in the evening would help? Or even just shifting his mealtimes and walk times to an hour later might help reset his body clock.

Or, if you let him sleep in with you, even on your bed, would he settle back down more easily?

At his age, there is a possibility that he is slipping gently into senility as well as adjusting to his blindness. Even senile dogs with functional eyesight lose the difference between night and day (as do people with the same condition). There are medications that help with this, so you could talk it over with your vet. to see what's available and if you wish to go that way. If not, JudyN's suggestion of having him in your bedroom is a good alternative.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back