The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Newly Destructive German Shepherd

Carly Winton

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone, just looking for a little advice. I have a German Shepherd puppy who will be 7 months old on 20th August. Up until Monday she has been the best puppy we could have ever hoped for in terms of nature, feeding, sleeping, toilet training etc.

On Monday after being left alone for 3 and a half hours maximum (her normal daily routine now), we came home to a half eaten sofa. This is extremely out of character for her as she has never chewed anything before - I am aware she is still young however she has never shown signs of being remotely destructive before. On Tuesday she had a go at the other side of the sofa aswell.

I am wondering if she may be coming in to her first season? If anyone has any advice on how we can help train this out of her etc it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

She could be teething, in which case she would benefit from extra chews, raw carrots, and cardboard boxes to shred.

She could be developing separation anxiety - I would try to video record her while you're out of the house to get a feeling for whether she's distressed or whether she's chewing to relieve sore teeth or boredom. Or just because it's fun.

Have there been any other changes, however slight, either in her routine or in her behaviour?

Or teething? Can you offer things she is allowed to chew while her jaw sets?

Hi, thank you so much for your reply. We do leave her a large (almost) indestructible bone, a few chews and a filled kong along with a variety of toys including ropes, balls, teething ring type things, cuddly soft toys, squeaky toys etc every time she is left alone.

Her first couple of teeth fell out a few months ago so it may be the rest are starting to come in as well. I will definitely try the raw carrots as she likes carrots mixed in with her dinner.

There has been no change to her routine, she goes out half the day to my in-laws house and is walked with their 2 shepherds as well. This has been her routine since we brought her home.

Oh and it's always the sofa because a. it's the next best thing she has to you and b. surrounding herself with bits of you is heaven when she can't have the real thing! Flattering, huh? I agree about the teething. An indestructible bone may not give her the pleasure she craves...after all the fun is bringing your stuff back to the den and tearing it apart with those teeth that are trying to get through! Frozen carrots sound good!

Shepherds can be very bonded dogs and so she may well be developing separation problems. Teething usually causes less destructive chewing such as hard things like chair legs and skirting boards.

A video will be the best way to find out what is going on. Some dogs are frustrated to not be going with you when you leave. Others are genuinely distressed at being left "alone". Both can be treated but it is best to know what is going on first.

Our dogs start teething at around the 16 week stage, begining with the small front teeth top and bottom and continues slowly over the coming weeks..
Strong cardboard boxes and plastic bottles that can be destroyed are fantastic, they must get a lot of satisfaction and relief from piercing the boxes/cardboard and bottles with their growing teeth. The mess can be cleared up and more cardboard and bottles given. (better than the furniture) (remove the bottle caps !! )
Frozen carrots are another good idea, as mentioned.
Our puppies are 6.5 months of age now appear to have finished their teething, they do however, still enjoy a lump of wood or large raw bones to chew.

Thank you all so much for your advice. We are going away on holiday with her this week so once we are home we are going to set the video up. This afternoon I will try the frozen carrots and then try bottles and cardboard too over the next coming days.

I know she is still young and this is normal puppy behaviour, it just came as a surprise as she has never showed this type of behaviour before.

Someone at work has suggested leaving a little item of clothing with mine/my partners scent on it so she has that as a comforter whilst we are out.

Will just need to take it day by day and hopefully something works for her.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back