The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Nimrodels

Fat Duncan

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My dog Sid ( aka Accrington Sidney ) has quite a bit of Nimrodel in him. I have been told this line is well known in coursing circles and I would like to try him at coursing .

Can anybody confirm if the Nimrodels were/are good coursing dogs? Also where is the nearest coursing venue to Accrington?

Hi Fat Duncan ? (man with funny hat)

dunno about Nimrodels but the nearest club is the Vale Royal Whippet Coursing Club. Unfortunately due to the current foot and mouth crisis the club has called the season to an end early (correct me if I'm wrong Mark). I'm sure that Sid will take to it like a duck to water though!

Not seen you for a while,

Scott.  

Hi Scott

What's the job with the funny hat? Thank you for your swift reply.Only trouble is, us Accrington types don't know where the venue is , or how to make contact. Please enlighten me.

Hi Fat Duncan (Mark) Nimrodel have made a very good mark ( no pun intended) in coursing in the past and are still showing strong now.

unfortunatly as Scott has stated the coursing all over the country has been brought to an abrupt end due to the foot & mouth.

although dogs cannot catch the disease clubs feel it would be unfare to put on the farmers at this delicate time.

unfortunatly due to the antics of a few violent individuales coursing clubs do not make themselves public but i will ring you to descuse it ( thats got you confused hasent it Mark (sorry Fat Duncan)

but memberships are hard to comebye and you normally need to be invited.

see you soon Mark

PS: your dogs needs a good run :confused:

Hi

I have had the pleasure of owning 5 or 6 Nimrodel's over the years, and I can personally vouch for the fact that they are an extremely good hunting/coursing strain. sometimes too good.

The reason that not so many Nimrodel's are seen Coursing these days is that their breeder,  Mrs I H Lowe lives in the north and is surrounded by sheep, which makes it very difficult to get the dogs fit, and would require a lot of travelling shoud she wish to compete.

Nimrodel Pegasus, Ch N Ruff Ch N Wiveton and Ch N Noir are good coursing dogs that gained their titles in the show ring and were excellent in the field, N Pegasus lost an eye and still excelled.

Hope this helps.

I have not competed with my Nimrodel's but can assure you that they are very keen on hunting hares!

I shamefacedly do admit to Barbara's observation re my hunting Nimrodel's.  I have recounted and the number I have owned is 6, and numerous ones have gone to their new homes via me, and I can vouch for the Nimrodel's as being extremely special people.

I completely forgot to mention all the bitches who have been such good coursing girls, and also gained their titles in the show ring ~ Ch's N Peerless, Withaway N

and more, whose names escape me.  The real beauty of this line is that they are well constructed and very easy on the eye.  Mrs Lowe, being a horse person does subscribe to the old addage "no foot no Horse", in this case "dog".  

It is very true that without excellent constuction neither dog nor horse can give of its best.

Nimrodels do not feature greatly in the Racing world because generally they carry too much bone, but the black dog Koo-i-Nor was out of Nimrodel Rosefinch, who was litter sister to Ch N Ruff, and Koo-i-Nor is behind a lot of racing Ch's.

I am extremely biased towards the Nimrodel's but my very first whippet was a Tiamo, Laguna bred, and was SO obedient, he came for miles at the heels of my horse [alongside his brother] on very busy roads, I never, ever used a lead, they were always at my side.   When I lost my first whippet I discovered Nimrodel's and the real world, they must be slightly dyslexic, 'cause they think "come here" means "go there".

But I love them anyway.  And I have been lucky enough to own 2 Ch's ~ N Eagle Wings and N Zenith.

(Edited by Mary Turney at 8:41 pm on Feb. 28, 2001)

Hi Mary,

I was interested to read your comments about the Nimrodels dyslexia. Sid definitely thinks "here" means "stay" and being off the lead means running as far away as possible. All this despite hours on the playing field with scraps of food and a long long line.

I've given up and as a family we just accept that Sid is hopeless at obeying me!

The only glimmer of hope is that we have been told that when he reaches 4 years,( in another year), there will be an improvement. But we were told this would happen when he was 2 and guess what!

Finally are all whippets notorious scavengers or is it just mine?

(Edited by Fat Duncan at 7:15 pm on Feb. 28, 2001)

Hi Duncan,

I think about 90% of whippets are thieves - some worse than others.  One of mine REALLY embarrassed me while visiting a firend.  I was helping her prepare for a dinner party, and had just put a huge plate of smoked salmon in the dining room.  She called to me to check that the door was shut properly in case her old dog (my girl's grandfather) went in and stole it.  I carefully checked the door, only to hear a crash 30 seconds later.  My girl had been hiding in there, and what was left of the starter was ruined!

Hi Duncan  Whippets thieves youll be telling us next that Ronnie Biggs robs trains :eek:

if you manage to find a whippet thats not a thief check its pedigree carefully? :biggrin:

One of the best thieves we ever owned was Fiddler (WCRCh Time Finder) I know Jane Rankin will testify to that (she may want to tell the story one day) :)

On another day, I remember after racing at Linton I was walking up to the presentation - Fiddler walking calmly by my side. I had a sandwich in one hand, Fiddler in the other, taking no notice. I went to take a bite of the sandwich and got it to within about 6 inches of my mouth when, like a swooping hawk, a black streak passed at shoulder height. I was now devoid of one sandwich (I hadn't even got one bite) and Fiddler was gulping down said sandwich whole. Now that was a calculated and planned act - he would act all innocent and as soon as your guard dropped by anything less than 110% he would strike.

That was one of many occasions, we'll always remember him for his immense character.

Sid's thieving has so far produced two highlights. The first took place on top of Coniston Old Man , in the Lake District. We were sat at the summit cairn when a group also arrived and sat down to eat their lunch. Sid watched all this taking place and waited until one guy was lifting his sandwich to his mouth. then just as it was going in, Sid made his lightening move and took it off him. The bit which always impresses me is the speed with which he can get his contraband down his neck. His second stunt was to take a pork fillet from under the grill, which was on, without even singing his whiskers. How he did that I do not know! By the way who's this Duncan fellow?

<The bit which always impresses me is the speed with which he can get his contraband down his neck. >

I think that the sandwiches stay where they are until they hit the back of the dog's stomachs!

We had a cat (Gerald) that once logged on to the internet and downloaded my mail! :cool:

Judy, I know Gerald used to sleep on top of your computer - did he fall off and just happen to hit the right keys, or was he really clever and knew which ones to press?  My guess is that he did it while you were out of the room, so you wouldn't know how he managed it!  Cool cat!

Well..... I did hear a crash but I am sure it was deliberate. ;) I think he took the opportunity to send a few emails himself, he probably had relatives in Australia. Still, it was cheaper than phoning them! :cheesy:

Hi all,

I'm new to the Coursing Whippet scene, and would like to know of a local coursing club in the Leicestershire area.

I'm lucky enough to have a 10 week old grandson of Nimrodel Noir (on his Sire's side) and on his Dam's side I think there is Laguna line of Tilegreen and Kaymark.

How would this 'chunky bred whippet' fair at racing ?

Is his 'terrier' spirit, that is already showing typical of the Nimrodel lines?

Any help would be extremely appreciated.  

Hi Ian

With refernce to your 'chunky bred whippet', I think it is fair comment that he would not excel at racing, but having not seen him this is pure speculation, however I am familiar with my own Nimrodel's bone construction, and know that they would never shine against the very fine boned light weight racing whippets.

If you are a racing fanatic, you must have a proper racing bred whippet, these a magic to watch, a blur of speed.  Really the differce between a Derby horse and a hunter, both in their own way fanstastic, but neither would do the other's job well.

Coursing clubs are not easy to join, and an apprenteship as a walking member usually required, lure coursing would give you an insight into a running sport, and there are others far more informative than I who could advise you on this subject.

Good luck

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back