The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

HollyIsaac

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone I was wondering if you could help me and my family. We have a wonderful 10months old english bullie called Ernie. Recently we've had problems with him behaviour wise. One minute hes a happy bubbley puppy who love everyone to a puppy that is hiding under the table, head down, slow moving, low growling, tail between his legs. Me and my sister are the only ones near him when hes like this. We dont know what to do any advise is helpful thank you

I'd suggest a vet check to see if he has any pain or discomfort that might be contributing to it.

In that case, maybe he is going through his second fear period. Can you identify exactly what precedes the behaviour? There may, or may not be a pattern but if there is, knowing what triggers his behaviour will help you manage it.

In that case, maybe he is going through his second fear period. Can you identify exactly what precedes the behaviour? There may, or may not be a pattern but if there is, knowing what triggers his behaviour will help you manage it.
We know as soon as he knows as there is his food going down he starts to get funny. We have two other male dogs but we have them split up cause the one dog argues, so we put hes food down first then feed the other two. Could that be something?
But he continues to be funny after the food has gone can be up to 6hours

So to be clear -

1. You separate the three dogs
  2. You prepare the food
  3. You put his food down and his behaviour changes, even though the other two dogs are elsewhere.
Does he eat his food? When do the three get back together; before or after Ernie hides under the table? What happens when they are reintroduced?

So to be clear -

1. You separate the three dogs
  2. You prepare the food
  3. You put his food down and his behaviour changes, even though the other two dogs are elsewhere.
Does he eat his food? When do the three get back together; before or after Ernie hides under the table? What happens when they are reintroduced?

Yeah that's what happens.
Sometimes eats his food leaves it sometimes, after he hides under the table when hes ready, they are fine but the dog that is grumpy we sometimes send him upstairs. My mum just took him for a walk and he was happy as Larry but now hes under the table upset and growling at my mum and stepdad but not me or sister

So, he hides under the table instead of coming into the living room where everyone is? Maybe he doesn't like the environment with everyone in it?

Believe it or not EBT are a sensitive breed could something of happened when the dogs were fed that one of the other dogs went after him.Are the other 2 males in the household been neutered your pup is reaching sexual maturity and this could be a problem.To honest a male EBT should only really be kept with a female not because they will start a fight with a male dog but because if another male starts a fight with them they will not step back:)

So, he hides under the table instead of coming into the living room where everyone is? Maybe he doesn't like the environment with everyone in it?
Yeah I did think of that. Sometimes theres can up to 5 people in the living room and both the other dogs

Does the growl happen when you try to get him out from under the table? If so, please stop doing that.

The growl is an important communication from your dog and should be respected. Dogs give a series of signals that they are unhappy, but unfortunately most people don't recognise them because they can be quite subtle. To begin with there is often wide eyes, lip licking and yawning. There is also muscular tension in the body. Then the ones we sometimes do see - growl, snarl, nip then bite.

If the early signals are not seen (or, in the dog's view, ignored) he won't bother with them because us stupid humans pay no attention anyway; so he may go straight to the bite. So it's important never to ignore the early signals or reprimand the dog for giving them; that would be like taking the battery out of a smoke alarm.

Believe it or not EBT are a sensitive breed could something of happened when the dogs were fed that one of the other dogs went after him.Are the other 2 males in the household been neutered your pup is reaching sexual maturity and this could be a problem.To honest a male EBT should only really be kept with a female not because they will start a fight with a male dog but because if another male starts a fight with them they will not step back:)
We've always had the dogs split up during feed time since he was a puppy puppy. The other two are neutered yes and we dont have a female in the house but Ernie has always has a weird problem with the one male dog (Loki yorkie cross, and grumpy) has he is always changing him and sniffing him and then Loki will nip him and we have to step in. But they've usually ok before this happens and then afterwards

Does the growl happen when you try to get him out from under the table? If so, please stop doing that.

The growl is an important communication from your dog and should be respected. Dogs give a series of signals that they are unhappy, but unfortunately most people don't recognise them because they can be quite subtle. To begin with there is often wide eyes, lip licking and yawning. There is also muscular tension in the body. Then the ones we sometimes do see - growl, snarl, nip then bite.

If the early signals are not seen (or, in the dog's view, ignored) he won't bother with them because us stupid humans pay no attention anyway; so he may go straight to the bite. So it's important never to ignore the early signals or reprimand the dog for giving them; that would be like taking the battery out of a smoke alarm.
He growls if my parents go near him when he is one of those moods but never growls at me or my sister. For example last night he hid under the table and my mum just sat on the floor and he growled at her then I did the same and he slowly walked to me with his head down and turned and sat in between my legs. I mean sometimes he can be in a mood and my parents pop their head round the corner to see if hes ok and he growls do you think it's because he thinks my parents are guna take him out of the kitchen, cause I mean hes fine going for a walk

Perhaps he does think your parents are going to move him out of the kitchen - have they ever done that.

Please ask them to read my reply above about growling.

If he has to be moved from one room to another, lure him with a treat, never pull him.

Perhaps he does think your parents are going to move him out of the kitchen - have they ever done that.

Please ask them to read my reply above about growling.

If he has to be moved from one room to another, lure him with a treat, never pull him.
I dont think they have, I have told them your above message and I've told them to leave him when hes like it. Hes fine now happy to see everyone

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back