The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Non Running Dogs

jeff 100

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
RIGHT LADS AND LASSES WHAT DOGS HAVE YOU USED FOR HUNTING THAT ARE NOT MENT TO DO THE JOB, I HAVE A BELGIAN SHEP, THAT I USED FOR LAMPING RABBITS WHEN SHE WAS YOUNGER, AND WHAT A LAMPER SHE WAS, A VERY CLEVER DOG, SHE WAS A GREAT JUMPER AND ALWAYS BOUGHT BACK TO HAND LIVE, AND YEARS AGO MY DAD USED TO USE A DOBERMANN FOR RABBITS, WHAT BREEDS HAVE YOU USED, HER IS CLOVER MY BELGIAN SHE IS 12 NOW BUT STILL PICKS A ODD RABBIT UP. jeff

Picture040.jpg

My grandad used to have a little black mongrel that'd pick rabbits up for fun, cracking little dog didn't take any training whatsoever and never went on a lead, walked by his side where ever he went. She even used to chase the lure, we trained a few pups for passing with her.

Ahhhh happy memories :D

Apparently my great Grandfather in Ireland used Manx cats for hunting rabbit.

I know its not a dog but interesting all the same. He was a farmer and got thorugh three wives (He wore them out apparently through hard work) and when he wanted a new one he went Scotland to get one (w00t)

Jan Doherty said:
Apparently my great Grandfather in Ireland used Manx cats for hunting rabbit. I know its not a dog but interesting all the same. He was a farmer and got thorugh three wives (He wore them out apparently through hard work) and when he wanted a new one he went Scotland to get one (w00t)

now thats a man !!!

theres a bloke i drink with who uses a springer x collie on rabbits and ts better than his whippet on the lamp!! it never ever runs out of energy and retrives every time.he uses it for beating and as a general gundog to!

scotty :)

Jan Doherty said:
Apparently my great Grandfather in Ireland used Manx cats for hunting rabbit. I know its not a dog but interesting all the same. He was a farmer and got thorugh three wives (He wore them out apparently through hard work) and when he wanted a new one he went Scotland to get one (w00t)

i owned a cat on the caravan site which i lived and that used to bring half grown rabbit home. once it tried to drag a live seagul though the small top window of my van it was still alive and flapping, i only had my undies on and had to chase it up the site trying to get it of her, not a nice site first thing on the morning, JEFF :sweating:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not me, but I know of an elderly lady who has a Golden Retriever that can catch Rabbits faster then I can see them! lol :p

Jan Doherty said:

What for a cat or a woman ? :D

used to have a staffie that used to push out for the lurcher.Could ferret for a short while with her too,brilliant marker but after a while excitement got too much for her and she'd start yapping.Have known her dig up a stop end and pull out not one but two rabbits :D Karen

I had a staff x noritch terrier that pulled six out of a one holer. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
my rottweiler bitch, currently nursing a litter, was the catch dog last week on a hare that had run itself into a hedge.

on the subject of cats bengal cats are supreme hunters of adult rats, rabbits and anything smaller. so anyone wanting a hunter look no further.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back