The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

NORTHERN OPEN & CHAMPS CANCELLED

Mark Roberts

The Ringmaster
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Unfortunatly the Northern Open Has had to be cancelled and this also means that the Champs due to be held at the Northern will not be able to take place at our club.

The reason we have had to take this decision is that after speaking to MAFF the council stated that MAFF did not want a large gathering of dogs that have traveled from around the country due to the F&M and that MAFF did not consider it to be safe for us to hold race meetings at the present time.

Hopefully everything will be sorted out in time for our bend open on the 5th August.

Mark Roberts

Northern PWRC

(secretary)

Mark, are sure that it is MAFF who have said this and not the council?

I have just spoken to MAFF again and explained the situation regarding whippet racing. They have confirmed that as long as meetings were not held on farm land then it would be entirely up to the club and land owner as whether to hold an event or not.

They did know however that one of the sport's governing bodies had placed a "voluntary" ban on whippet racing but emphasised that it was the governing bodies policy and not theirs.

Hi Judy

I spoke to our local council they then contacted MAFF for guidence, when they rang me back it was to say that after descusions with MAFF they could not lift the restrictions on us racing.

I asked what reason MAFF had given and the answer was that MAFF did not want large no's of dogs traveling around the country and meeting up due to the F&M.

having dealt with this council officer on many occassions I feel he would only give us the facts as stated to himself by MAFF.

There seems to be that many differing comments going around at the moment that its hard to find the facts, I spoke to my own vet who stated that dogs posed no risk of spreading the desease unless they had been on an infected farm,

My own views remain the same that racing MUST resume as soon as possible.

I am not questioning what you were told Mark, but perhaps something has been lost in the translation before it got to you. It seems a bit odd to me that MAFF would say they didn't want large numbers of dogs travelling the country and meeting up, whilst at the same time giving the go ahead to Crufts which involves much, much larger numbers. It is also very much at odds with what MAFF are currently saying everywhere else.

Perhaps MAFF were quoting to your council the reason given to MAFF for the governing body placing a ban rather than MAFF's reason.

Actually, I have just thought that maybe it's because you were in an infected area. That might account for your council's decision.

Hi Judy

I think the response from MAFF has a lot to do with us running on a public field, Crufts ect are being organized on private land/buildings but because we use a public field and have to ask permission from the council they asked MAFF and that was that we had to cancel,

but what you said about being in an infected area (3-4 miles from an infected farm) may have had some bearing on MAFFs decision not to give us the all clear but no mention was made of that when I spoke to the council.  

what answer we get seems to depend on who we talk to, the government offices (Maff ect) need to sit round a table and decide what the current guidlines are then it would save everybody a lot of confusion?

I think the current guidelines from MAFF are very clear. As long as certain restrictions are observed they say sporting events, crowds and travelling are not a problem. However, MAFF have said that the final decision on whether whippet racing can take place rests with the land owner.

In this case there must be some particular local circumstances or influences that have forced the decision. At the moment the MAFF line is there are no general restrictions on dog shows, racing, agility etc.

I agree it would be nice for MAFF to specifically mention dog events in their information sheets (I see that pigeon racing is now mentioned) but until then we will have to read their published information and act accordingly.

Hi Nigel

As clubs start asking there landlords for permission to resume racing it will show how wide spread the restrictions are.

the Government seem to have two faces the public "go where you want theres no problem" and the one that caused our open to be cancelled "we dont want large no's of dogs getting together" plus as an amature sport we seem to get forgoten unlike the high profile high earning sports?. Money does seem to count.

I've read the MAFF web site many times and I cant see any reason  why whippet racing can't recomence but unfortunatly we still cant get a yes from MAFF to use our field.

As Judy has already mentioned, I feel that this decision must be due to the fact that the Northern club is within an infected area.

The guidelines are clear in the facts that racing poses no threats outside these areas, but obviously, in an area where you are close to an infected farm other, more restrictive guidelines must be adhered to.

It is a shame about your situation, but lets hope that we can resume racing at other clubs (outside restricted areas) very soon.

Darcia

I am very disappointed to see that the northern club won’t be able to stage their open and the first champs.  I was looking forward to my first visit to the northern club.  Does this mean that the first WCRA championships now have to be cancelled? I understand from my club secretary that the WCRA intend to consider the response from the questionnaire sent to all affiliated clubs, and make a decision as to whether racing can resume.  I was led to believe that this decision would be made by the end of the weekend.  If they decide racing can resume, then they need to see how many clubs are in a position to resume racing i.e. have permission from landlords and local MAFF etc.  If this could be done with a bit of urgency then I think the WCRA might possibly have a number of venues available where a championship meeting could be held.  

There are still 31 days until 6 May, and if an available and suitable venue was chosen within the next week, then there would still be more than three weeks to inform everyone of the new location.  

Does anybody know how many clubs have venues on which they are allowed to race?  Or any neutral venues such as Old Hall or Morton in Marsh?  Availability of these venues?  Surely its not too late to find a new venue.  And I don’t think there would be such a problem in finding somebody to drive the van (after all of the discussion and problems there seem to have been in the past).  If this was the main stumbling block and a driver couldn’t be found, then I would offer to go and get the van and drive it to wherever (or does it still have to be a member of the club hosting the event?  What happens when a neutral venue is used? ).  

I look forward to the results of the WCRA’s poll and with any luck a bit of whippet racing this summer!     ;)

I've just been having a look at the non-ped board and it seems that Devon & Somerset wrc are having the same problem as the Northern, Their local council & MAFF are not letting them race either.

When I spoke to Doug to notify him that the Northern would be unable to host the 1st Champs he did indecate that it would be a shame if the Champs was lost.

subject to the result of the questionair I think (subject to a suitable ground) that maybe the Champs could be saved.

Everyone at the Northern are sad that weve been unable to host the Champs, and i'd like to thanks all those who have rung and sent e/mails to say how sorry they where that we had to take this decision.

The Only Club I know who can if allowed by the WCRA to race is the Scotish club (Caledoial Thistle) they have no restrictions on their ground. so that might be an option.

I've just seen that Nick Brown has announced that within a week they hope to be able to say when F&M will be cleared up, so maybe the end is near.

(Edited by Mark Roberts at 9:16 am on April 6, 2001)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back