The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Not eating

Betty Emily

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My 8yr old Jack Russell Maggie started to drink lots of water 4 daysago and vomited it back many times during the day and stopped eating ,I put this down to the hot weather but as there has not been any improvement I have taken her to the vets for tests there is nothing showing in the blood for Pancreatitis but she still isn't eating and is just hiding herself if the shade of the garden had steroid injection this evening so am hoping this will help . Has anyone experienced a similar situation ?

Is she eating anything at all, like high-value treats? And is she drinking? What else have the vets tested for... was the steroid injection given purely as an appetite stimulant? Does she seem any livelier when the temperature is lower, such as early in the morning?

There are a lot of dogs who have lost their appetite in the heat, though from what I've read most are still keen to eat high-value treats. So if she's drinking enough, eating the odd treat, and just seems a little lethargic, it's likely to just be the weather... but obviously you need to report back to the vet if the steroid injection doesn't seem to have had any effect as they may want to investigate further.

Is she eating anything at all, like high-value treats? And is she drinking? What else have the vets tested for... was the steroid injection given purely as an appetite stimulant? Does she seem any livelier when the temperature is lower, such as early in the morning?

There are a lot of dogs who have lost their appetite in the heat, though from what I've read most are still keen to eat high-value treats. So if she's drinking enough, eating the odd treat, and just seems a little lethargic, it's likely to just be the weather... but obviously you need to report back to the vet if the steroid injection doesn't seem to have had any effect as they may want to investigate further.[/Q

She is not eating anything even her favourite treats drinking very little although the vet has said she is not dehydrated enough to cause concern .I have another vet appointment tomorrow . Yes I think the steroid injection was to induce appitite but sadly it hasn't worked thus far .

Oh that is a worry - do let us know how the vet visit goes.

One thing my dog would drink when he was really ill was chicken broth, made from boiling up a chicken carcasse in water for half an hour or more (you can then feed the bits of meat when your dog is up to eating, but don't feed the bones). In this hot weather, she might even like it frozen, as a 'lolly'.

Thanks Judy I have some chicken stock in the freezer made only with the bones it's worth a try but if I offer her anything she just runs and hides she is still drinking and has been keeping the water down which is an improvement .
Oh that is a worry - do let us know how the vet visit goes.

One thing my dog would drink when he was really ill was chicken broth, made from boiling up a chicken carcasse in water for half an hour or more (you can then feed the bits of meat when your dog is up to eating, but don't feed the bones). In this hot weather, she might even like it frozen, as a 'lolly'.

So pleased to tell you that having spent the day at the vets Maggie is home and well ,Very likely her problem was caused by something toxic that she picked up on our beach .She has had her stomach flushed and has been on a drip all day .It has been suggested that we muzzle her on her walks as she hates being kept on her lead .appreciate your comments and concern .

Glad to hear some positive news.

This is great news that she feels better, hope she stays this way :)

Oh that is good, thanks for the update.

If you get her a muzzle, make sure it's an 'open' one that allows her to open her mouth to pant - particularly in this weather, ones that hold a dog's mouth shut can be positively dangerous. There's some info about training a dog to wear a muzzle here: First signs of resource guarding!

I will go to the pet shop tomorrow and will bear that in mind . Sadly people don't take their rubbish home with them and kick sand over the dogs poo it has been particularly bad during these recent hot days .fishermen leave hooks and line behind the list is endless .and I walk the beach twice a day .

I know there was a problem in Norfolk recently where washed-up starfish (I think) that contained toxins were eaten by dogs who became very ill, so it's not just what we leave behind that can be a problem - even so, it's maddening to see the rubbish that people manage to bring to the beach but can't be bothered to take away with them :-(

I walk the beach regularly and every time I pick up a poo, I can easily use the same bag to pick up several pieces of plastic / film.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back