The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Not so Golden Oldies.

John Craig

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello all, just a short introduction from myself John (balding oldie) and Jenny(silver oldie). Long term animal lovers and committed dog rescuers, we live in the real "oop north" in Sutherland with Golden Oldie, Whippet Dolly. A wealth of experience with dogs, but always willing to learn.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Hi and welcome, any pics of Dolly? Love the oldie's, my Jake is 14 years and in the past I've adopted 2 12 year old yorkies, one after the other, not at the same time! All mine have been rescues, even the ferrets and snake I have:)

Hello! Once had a whippet x known as Bernie the Beautiful. Oop North, eh? Once also nearly died of cold at Seaham Harbour. Respect!;)

Welcome to you , Jenny and Dolly. :)

I live down Souff in on the outskirts of West London . :D

My two dogs are rescues dogs and my OH inherited two dogs who originally came from the dogs trust.

Welcome! :)

I’m in the U-S, born in Pennsylvania near the Delaware River, but currently live in Boston, Mass, & yes, New England today has much the same climate as the Pennsy of my youth.
:D The Orange Donald notwithstanding, climate change moves on apace, & Boston is the area hardest hit east of the Mississippi.
Only Alaska exceeds Boston, in the speed of change.

At the moment, I’m in Florida [for the 1st time in my life] -
I work as a PCA doing in-home care, & my new boss decamps to the South for 3 months of the year, as the cold makes it hard for him to breathe. [Darned good reason!]

Do U have any snow down, @John Craig ? -
Boston was recently clobbered by 9 to 12 inches, depending on where in town U measured. // At the same time, we 3 in Lakeland [my boss & us 2 PCAs] suffered thru a long “weekend” with no AC, while outdoor temps hit 85 to 88’ F, all 4 days.
[F, Sat, Sun, M] *panting*. Whew!
The peak was Monday evening, when it was 88’ F in our living room, 5-ft above the floor, from 3-pm until 8-pm. Yikes. :eek:
Thank Goddess, yesterday was in the 60s, & so will today be, so I am much relieved. // The new compressor is expected today, it should be installed before dinnertime, & we will have cooling before the normal Spring heat returns! ... I am so, so glad we got these 2 days of abnormally cool weather.

I love seniors, they are so much easier to live with than pups & teenagers, yet they can be as active as their owners & joints allow. ;) Yoots* are often such hooligans.

- terry

*yoots: local mispronunciation for ‘youths’

Hello there,
we are seeing global warming too, but not the great extremes you guys get. We watch in wonder as California burns and freezes and East Coast US takes a hammering from hurricanes and torrential rain. Last summer was one of the longest, hottest on record, with grass burned brown and little feed left for cattle or sheep, so farming definitely taking a hit. Basically, the planet is screwed and I reckon it's too late to save it. I'm into my 70's now, but had food in my belly, clothes on my back, a modest education and good old rock and roll, so not going to complain too much, just feel sorry for young folk.
My wife Jenny and I met pretty late in life, but both being dog owners and lovers, we have had a lot of love from the old folks we rescue and still trying to save one or two before we are too old. Hate the thought of leaving one behind though, so have to be choosy.
Pleasure to hear from you and wish you and yours all the best.
Regards, John.

hey, John,
I grew up on a family farm in Bucks Co., PA, & weather is one of the great trials of farmers around the world. :( I am so glad that i am not farming, especially grain, in this chaotic climate!

A few years back, while I lived in Ye Olde Dominion [Virginia], there was a regional drought that went on for over a year, in the Southeast; livestock farmers were selling all their beasts at 10 to 20 cents on the dollar of their value, b/c they had no pasture, it was dead stalks, couldn’t afford hay from out of state [over a dollar per 60# bale, plus shipping], & did not want to watch them starve to death. :(. Horses & ponies were GIVEN AWAY, just to save them from starving. It was awful. Heartbroken kids & devastated parents, trying to hold onto their farms & hang on until the rains came.

I, too, am a senior, tho a decade or so behind U - I do not yet think the planet is hopelessly screwed, but the time to act & save it is melting away faster than the glaciers.
My biggest worry is that we will tip a catastrophic change that cannot be altered, which could happen any day; if the Atlantic Conveyor quits, all of Europe & N America is in deep trouble, & the planet as a whole will be in crisis. // They are measuring the subsurface current as it slows, & i pray it won’t shut down entirely; the rush of fresh water from Greenland & Iceland is messing with the isohaline layer, & threatens to halt the downflow of the return trip below the Gulf Stream.

I am glad that i’m past 50 & not 25, with the sexist, racist pig currently in the White House, & our world in peril. It would take the heart out of me. I spent my childhood in the country, living along a dirt road, eating mostly home-grown food [except for wheat & corn], & my college years in a rural / small town landscape; I’m glad i got to see it, while it was still here.
I tried to do everything i could to reduce & prevent pollution, & protect wildlife, from childhood on, but would never, ever, in my 20s & 30s, have predicted what we are living thru, now. // It’s stunning.

Bless the beasts & children,
- terry

I would love to be as hopeful as you Terry, but look around, nobody is actually doing anything concrete.
Regards, John.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back